chapter 73: wolfsbane

beacon hills animal clinic

The pack crowds the Animal Clinic. Scott called Chris to tell him what happened and about the shell casings we found. He quickly came over and is waiting with is for Derek to wake up.

When Malia got here she rushed to the back where Derek rested, and she wouldn't leave her cousins side until he regained consciousness. It was a while before Derek woke up, but when he did Braeden gave him the new set of clothes she picked up for him while at the loft and he joined us in the lobby along with the rest of the pack.

"Is it really hers?" Derek asks Chris, who turns the shell casing over in his hand.

"It's hers." Chris confirms.

"What does she want?" Scott asks.

"Revenge." I say, my voice barely above a whisper but everyone hears and turns to look at me so I continue. "When she was first here, when she attacked Scott and Stiles at my house she said that's why she was back. She just didn't get to carry out her plan, and that's why she's here again." The memories of finding Scott almost lifeless in Stiles' room and of Kate's hand wrapped around my brother's neck with her claws digging into his skin come back to me and make me feel uneasy. I move closer to Mason, and he puts a comforting hand on my back.

"Why now?" Scott asks. "Why wait all of this time?"

"She was probably waiting for the right opportunity." Chris answers. "She doesn't want anyone standing in her way and she doesn't want to be collateral damage."

"Is she still in control of the Berserkers?" Liam asks.

"I would assume she is. We need to stay vigilant. This is her first attempt, and I'm sure it's not the only one." Chris warns us, as everyone in the room shares nervous glances.

--------------------------

following day; stilinski household

I hold the syringe that Chris gave me yesterday. It's small enough to fit in the palm of my hand, but it holds some of the most powerful wolfsbane known to exist.

"A little goes a long way with this species of wolfsbane. I want you to have this just in case." he told me.

"Is it enough to kill her?" I asked Chris, forgetting that Kate is his sister. It's hard to associate someone so evil with someone like Chris, who would do anything to help even a stranger.

"It should be." he said, with no compassion towards his sister, to the monster she's become...or the monster she's always been.

"Thank you." I told him, before leaving the Animal Clinic with Stiles.

There's about a month left until graduation and the wedding, and I frown at the thought of either of those events being ruined by Kate's return.

I take the syringe and place it in my backpack, rushing downstairs to meet Stiles.