chapter 47: favors

beacon hills animal clinic

"It can't be. They haven't been in Beacon Hills for years." Deaton says as he looks through the pictures on my phone. No one is in the pictures, but he knows who the owners of all the tools and gadgets are.

"Who?" Scott asks.

"The Dread Doctors." Deaton responds.

"I'm sorry, the what?" Stiles asks

"They're scientists who worship the supernatural. They've been here before." Deaton says, handing me back my phone. "And the last time they were here, a lot of people died."

"And now it seems like they wanna kill us. That's fantastic." Stiles says.

"What are they doing here? Why come again?" Scott asks.

"They want to bring back the perfect killer." Chris says, walking into the animal clinic. We turn to look at him, confusion on our faces. "Just got back from talking with my dad. They're here not to create the perfect killer, but to resurrect one.  The Beast of Gévaudan."

"Yes

"Yes." Deaton says. "That makes sense. It makes sense. Josh being taken. Experimented on. Controlled. They are using teenagers to try and resurrect the Beast."

"Teenagers?" I ask, emphasizing the 's' at the end of the word. "So how many more?"

This time Chris answers. "Don't know. I'm assuming if they fail, they'll try again. I talked with the Sheriff earlier. There's been an increase in missing person reports. Almost all of them are regarding teenagers." He turns to Scott. "They don't want anyone in their way. That's why they had someone come after you. They wanted to eliminate you before you became a threat."

"How do we stop them?" Scott asks.

"I'm not sure you can." Chris says.

Everyone is silent as the begin to process the gravity of the situation. Deaton was right, someone is trying to bend the rules, and they've done it.

"There's gotta be a way." Scott says. "No more missing teenagers, no more experiments. I'm going to put an end to this."