chapter 77: i've been waiting for this

Liam pulls me behind a corner, everybody else ducking behind it as well.

We expect to hear footsteps as the Berserkers make their way over to us, but the only thing we hear is the rapid breathing of the person next to us.

"Did they leave?" I quietly ask.

Liam peeks over and then quickly moves back to where he was standing. "Nope. Still there."

"What are they waiting for?" Malia asks.

"Kate, maybe?" I say.

"No." Scott responds and we all turn to him, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration. "She's waiting for us to make the first move. This is a game to her, and she's letting us have the first move."

"If we try to get to the stairs, we won't make it. They'll come right at us." Kira says.

"Which is why some of us need to stay and fight them off." Lydia adds.

"You want us to split up?" I ask, not sure if this is a good idea.

"I think we have to." Scott answers. "Some of us need to stay down here and keep the Berserkers from getting to the stairs and going up them. At least until we get to Stiles. Kate has to be keeping him up there somewhere."

We all exchange glances, trying to decide who stays and who goes.

"I'll stay, I'll keep them away from the stairs." Kira says, taking out her Katana.

"I'll help you." Lydia adds, and we all know she is talking about using her Banshee scream.

"You're going upstairs for Stiles?" I ask Scott and he nods. "Okay, I'm going with you."

"So am I." Malia says. "Getting through Kate won't be easy."

Scott nods and then turns to Liam, who then turns to me. I can see how conflicted he is, he needs to stay with Kira and Lydia, but he doesn't want to leave my side.

I take his hand. "It's okay." I reassure him, and he nods.

"All right. Malia, Veronica and I are going to get Stiles. You guys make sure those Berserkers let us through, and try not to let them up the stairs." he says to Kira, Lydia and Liam. "If Derek and Argent get here before we're back down, let them know where we are."

Everyone nods, knowing what they're supposed to do. Scott peeks over the wall we hide behind to see where the Berserkers are.

Liam turns to me, taking my hand and pulling me closer to him. "Come back to me." Liam says, just like the night we were in the tunnels when we were saving Mason and we had to go separate ways. He holds on to my hand tightly. I smile at him softly and move towards him, placing a kiss on his lips and he gently kisses me back. "I love you." I whisper to him, my lips brushing against his as I say the words. I step away from him, and look into his blue eyes. The blue eyes that mesmerized me since the first day I saw him, standing across the hallway. "I love you, too." he says, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. Hesitantly, we let go of each other.