chapter 3: standing on his own two feet

stilinski household

*buzz, buzz, buzz*

My alarm goes off.

I sit up on my bed and stretch my arms above me. And then I get a sudden wave of panic. But why?

Stiles. My Dad. Did either of them come home last night? Was I in such a deep sleep that I didn't hear them? Or did they not come home?

I rush out of my room and practically sprint down the hallway, down the stairs and into the living room when I crash into my Dad.

"Ah. Geez, Veronica. Where are you going in such a rush?"

"Dad! Oh my God, you're ok!...Wait, Stiles. Where's my brother?!"

"I'm right here." He says as he walks out of the kitchen holding a bowl of cereal. He takes a spoonful to his mouth.

I let out a sigh of relief.

"It's just, uh...I didn't hear you guys come in last night and I got worried."

My Dad smiles at me and puts his arm around me. "We're fine. Now go get ready for school." He gives me a kiss on the forehead.

"Yeah, ok."

I quickly get ready and join Stiles in the kitchen. I make myself a PB&J sandwich and pour myself a glass of milk.

I sit across from Stiles at the table. I just look at him. Waiting for him to give me an explanation as to why he ran out last night.

"What?" he asks, with a mouthful of cereal.

"So, what happ-"

"Alright guys, I'm off to work," my dad says from the door. "See you tonight. Stay out of trouble. Especially you Stiles." he says with a laugh as he walks out the door.

I laugh as well.

"Ha, yeah. Very funny dad." Stiles replies.

I pick a piece of bread off my sandwich and throw it at Stiles. He throws it back with a laugh.

"Ok, hurry up! Lets go! I'm leaving you if you don't get to the Jeep at the same time I do."

"Ok, ok!" I say, taking a final bite of my sandwich.

We brush our teeth and grab our backpacks and we are out the door at the exact same time.

Our ride to school is silent, until I work up the courage to ask Stiles what really happened last night, but I already know how this conversation is going to end.

"So, are you going to tell me what was so urgent last night that you lied to me and met up with Scott?"

He sighs. "Listen, Veronica.."

"Don't worry about it." We both say in unison.

"Yea, I know, I know. I just...I just worry, ok? You're my brother and Scott is practically my brother too. I just want to know everything is ok. Will you at least answer that honestly? Is everything ok?"

He's quiet for a little while and then he answers: "Yes. Everything is...fine."

I nod. "All right."