chapter 45: nothing is ever going to change that

next day; Sunday morning

Exhausted. I'm exhausted. I've just woken up and I'm lying in bed, thinking about what I've been through so far in my life. I've been through a lot, especially these past couple of years, but I don't think I've ever been this exhausted. My body aches. It's probably from taking Liam's pain yesterday. 

I turn to lay on my back and look up on the ceiling. 

Yesterday's events come rushing back to me, making me dizzy. 

I think about Josh, who ran off and we don't know where he is. Did he go home? Did he try to reach out to Corey? Maybe Tracy? Do they know...? Could they possibly be in danger?

And how the hell did he get through the Mountain Ash? What is he?

I sit up, realizing that laying in bed and asking myself the same questions over and over again isn't going to help. And it won't lead me anywhere. 

I take a deep breath, close my eyes and use my hands to massage my neck and shoulders. Everything hurts.

I open my eyes and they land on a bag in the corner of my room. It's filled with things Liam gave me or left here when we were together. A lacrosse shirt, the bracelet he gave me for Christmas, one of his video games, the teddy bear he won for me at the carnival...

It's been sitting there for a while, and I keep telling myself I'll get around to throwing it out. But I never have. Maybe it's because...

I shake my head, pushing the thoughts away.

I get out of bed, brush my teeth, change and head downstairs.

I find Lydia, Kira, Malia, Theo, Scott and Stiles gathered around in the living room. They are discussing a way to try and find Josh. 

"If someone is controlling him, if someone did this to him, then we have to try to find a way and help him." Scott says and everyone agrees. 

------------------------------------------------------

We spend all day looking for Josh. Mason asks Corey if he knows anything, but Corey says they haven't spoken since Friday. We try to reach Tracy but she doesn't answer.

The day is coming to an end and we have zero leads on Josh's whereabouts. Dad called earlier to let us know that his parent's filled a missing person's report. He never went home.

We stop by Deaton's after ending our search for the day.

"How did he get through the Mountain Ash?" Stiles asks.

"I don't know. It's a barrier no supernatural creature should be able to cross." Deaton answers.

"He said someone was controlling him." Scott adds. "His Alpha, maybe?"

"Was he even a werewolf?" I ask.

"Hmm. You describe him to be a mix of two supernatural creatures." he says and pauses for a while to think. After some time, he continues. "Maybe the rules to our supernatural world aren't as rigid as I once thought. Or maybe someone is trying to change those rules."

Scott, Stiles and I glance at each other. The three of us knowing that things are about to get even worse in Beacon Hills.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday; Beacon Hills High School

In Biology class, I stare at Josh's empty seat. I can't concentrate on the lecture, I don't even try to. I don't even bother pretending to pay attention.