chapter 28: it's not your fault

I wake up a little past noon.

I check my phone.

I have a text from Liam.

He didn't go to school.

Neither did Scott or Malia.

Stiles stayed home as well.

We all had a late night.

I realize I've slept a few hours. That pill really did work.

thank you, Deaton!

I feel better.

I got some much needed rest, even though I could use some more. But on the bright side, at least I'm not currently in any excruciating pain.

I have some aches here and there, but with time I'll learn to push this all away.

I walk downstairs.

Stiles is sitting on the couch, watching T.V.

"Hey, you just wake up?" I ask him.

"Yeah." he says as he rubs his eyes.

He's still sleepy.

"Where's dad?" I ask.

"Went to work." he says as he reaches for the control and turns off the T.V.

Dad hates taking days off.

I sit next to him and close my eyes and lean back, resting my head on the couch.

It's quiet for a while, neither of us says a word.

I'm drifting off when Stiles says: "Hey, Veronica, I know this is scary but I just want you to know I'm here for you."

I look over at him. "Thanks. I don't really understand this, but I'll learn to control it. I have to."

"Deaton and Scott will help you, and so will I. I started doing some research but fell asleep before I could fine something we didn't already know."

Of course the first thing he would do would be to try and find everything he could on suffering absorption.

I smile. "Yeah, we'll figure it out. Don't worry, it's gonna be ok. I'll be ok." I reassure him.

He shakes his head. "I should've gone into the ice b-"

"Stiles. I know you want to protect me, I want to protect you too. But, that was my decision, it was my choice to go into the ice bath. I knew there were risks, but I didn't care. I had to try to save dad. And we did it. Dad's still with us. And even though this is scary and it's something I'll carry with me for the rest of my life, it came from a choice that I made. This isn't anyones fault. This isn't your fault."

He nods.

"Well, technically, the person at fault is the person who attacked Dad." he says.

"That is true. Any leads on that?" I ask.

"Nope. Scott wasn't able to get a scent, Dad doesn't remember anything from the attack and nobody else saw anything."

"Something has to turn up."

"It will." he reassures me.

After a bowl of cereal and milk, I head back upstairs to my room and take a short nap.

I think I'm finally beginning to catch up on some sleep.

When I wake up, I hear chatter coming from downstairs.

There I find Kira, Scott, Mason, Lydia, Malia, Liam and Stiles.

They stop their conversation and turn to look at me when I walk into the room.