Meeting the family

Today is the day that I’m going to meet my real family.

I am indeed excited, scared, happy, hurt and nervous at the same time. Who’s not right?

Standing in front a big and modern colored white and black house, the feeling inside of me rambled all together.

Mom probably noticed my change of my mood and she holds my hand, tighter. Squeezing my hand like she is assuring me that everything is going to be alright and I have nothing to be afraid of because they are with me.

“I told you sweetheart, it’s going to be okay. I told you that we already met them a couple of time just to make sure that they are good people.” Mom told me.

“I know, it’s just that I’m very new to this feeling and I really don’t know how to act in front of them.” I confess.

“That’s okay, it’s normal munchkin. Just be yourself okay, do not forget the good traits or manners that we thought you and James when you were both kids. Oh, it’s so hard, I don’t think I can handle this.” Without any word, my mother burst out crying beside me. It broke my heart into pieces looking at her crying.

“Mom, it’s okay. Like what you said, it’s going to be fine yeah?” I try calming my mother.

I saw my father and brother walking out the car and look at one another and me.
I shrug and continue comforting my mom.

“I don’t want to lose you honey, you are my daughter and I- and I just don’t know!” My mom cried once more.

“Hun, I thought we already talked about this?” my father said grabbing my mom in my arms and embraces her.

“I know it’s just so hard...” Mom mumbled.

“Mom, you guys were not going to lose me okay? I know it’s hard for you all but it is hard for me too. You are the one who told me that we are still a family right? Wherever we are, we are a family. You guys were my family.” I promised them smiling. Mom wiping her tears away and then gave me a big hug followed by dad and James.

“Come on, let’s do this. It’s now or never.” I told them.

As we walk inside the house by the help of some house helper, we are led to a beautiful living room. They have a big couch and all the expensive decorations were hanging everywhere. It’s like I’m in an expensive hotel! All of us can’t hide our amusement as our eyes scan the whole area. It feels like all the things in here were all cleaned that you can’t even see a little bit of dust.

An old woman came and smiled at us.

“Would you like anything? Coffee, tea, juice, iced tea, wine, water or anything?” she asked politely.

Mom smiled at her kindness and said that a juice would be fine. Leaving us alone once more, another woman came and I think she is around her forties.

“Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Thompson said that they will be here in a few, they’re just changing the twins clothes.” She informs us nicely.

“Thank you.” I told her and she smiled back at me. So, my real surname is ‘Thompson’ not bad... It felt weird because I’ve been a ‘Hastings’ all through the years but I think I’ll get used to it. I mean, I have to get used to it.

“You are not a baby anymore,” James said smirking.

“What do you mean?”

“You have a two younger brother, which I might add a twins so it only means that you are no longer the baby.” He said casually.