You're Asking Too Much

If this is some kind of a joke, then this is not funny.

We stood there, staring at each other. No one wants to say a word. I feel like if I said something, I'll break down and cry.

He is standing straight, with his hands on his pocket. His brown eyes bore into mine. He is still the 'Luke' I've known.

"Can I come in?" That was all he said. I nod and let him in.

We made our way to the living room and let him feel comfortable even if I know that it's impossible in our situation.

"Ah, you want anything? Water, juice?" How nice of me.

"No, I'm alright. Thank you."

"Okay." I sat down in front of him.

"How are you?" He asked calmly. Seriously? He's asking me that stupid question?

"What do you think?" I spat back.

"I found out yesterday that I'm going to be your client. We are going to work together on this project. I know you need this and I need this too Samantha." When he said my name, I feel like my heart had been stabbed. He never called me by my whole name, It's always been 'Sam' just 'Sam'.

"I know, so let's get to the point. What are you trying to tell me?" I need to know, I want all of this to get over as soon as possible.

"I want everything to be professional. Work is work, nothing should be personal between us. Past is past. And last but not the least, Please pretend like we didn't know each other."

And then that's it. I found myself holding back my tears. Why is he being like this?

"You're asking too much."

"I know, but please. This is very important for me."

"Is that what you really want?" I asked him coldly.

"Yes. That's all I'm asking."

"If I said yes, are you going to be happy?"

"Yes." He said without looking at me.

"Then it's a yes." I stood up, handing him my right hand.

"By the way, I'm Samantha Hastings" I said, giving him my fake smile.

He looked at me with his questioning eyes. He took my hand for a minute and pulled it away. If this is what he wants then I will give it to him. I can play on this game too.

****

This work is my life. I need this, for myself and for my family. This is all I have.

I want to travel the globe. I want to give my parents what they want. I want them to taste the good life they never had, the delicious food, the expensive clothes. When James and I were a kid, we never experienced going to a school field trip. Or hang out with our friends to come and see concerts. That's why James and I promised that someday, we will travel the world with our parents.

James is now working in some company. He is older than me, he's smart and handsome too (that's what he said) He's a good brother and I love him. When I was a little, he used to bring me candies after school. He may not say it, but I know that he saved his money and didn't eat at break time just to buy me candies. He always makes sure I'm happy.

I miss him. I miss my brother.

Later that day, Ethan and I went for a dinner together. I'm not really in the mood for it, but it's going to be rude if I cancel it.

****

Henry mentioned earlier that we will meet our clients today, that I will be facing 'Him' again.