We will get there

We were just looking at one another and I can tell the changes in his features now, it’s clean and good looking as he used to but I know that there is still a hint of sadness behind those eyes as I look at him. Something that he can see through mine also and I knew what it was; it’s the friendship we once had.

He is wearing his uniform neat and clean as he stood in front of me. He smiled at me a little and I give the same to him, I know that I have to face him one of these days but not today, it’s too soon like really soon for what I expected. Without leaving his eyes on me, he asks:

“Do you mind?” he asks and without me answering him yet, he sat in front of me.

“It’s been a while, a really long time Sam. I’m glad to see you again.” He said. I feel uncomfortable on the way he looks at me.

“Me too, so uhmm you’re alone?” I ask looking around to avoid his gaze.

“Yeah, just dropping by after work, you know to relax.”

“Okay, how was work?” I ask again, come on Sam don’t let things gets too awkward! As it’s already is.

“Good and you? I know after everything what happen last time, I know that it’s not the right time and place for us to talk things out but I just want to say sorry. For everything Sam, you have no idea how I wanted this day to come, to see you and to make up for everything.” He said with a pleading voice.

I look at the door to see if Nicole arrives but she’s not yet here and that worries me.

“It’s all in the past now Ethan, It’s not your fault that I lost my job before. We have to move on Ethan, what’s today and tomorrow is what we should focus of now. Don’t pull yourself down okay? We’ve been friends and I don’t want to just throw it away just like that.” I told him.

“I know it’s not my fault but I’m the reason behind it. Thank you for everything Sam, I regret pushing things with you and look at me now, I lost you.”

“Ethan please, you didn’t lose me? We can still be friends.” I said looking down my hands.

“Yeah, we could be friends again but not like before where I can still hold you while you fell asleep on my shoulder. You telling me things like I was Myra you are talking too, everything Sam. You know what hurts the most? Is that I know that you will never ever look at me the way you look at him. Even how big his mistakes are, still he is the one you wanted.”

“I’m sorry Ethan, but believe me when I say that one day you will find someone better than me. Someone who will complete you and show you all the things you should know, do all the things you guys love together and I apologize that, that person is not me. I’m sorry.” He nods as he looking outside avoiding my eyes.

I can see through the sunlight the tears that forming in his eyes threatening to flow but he shook it away and stood up and looks at me once more.

“I have to go, it’s good to see you again Sam.”

“Ethan, please don’t be mad at me.” I beg and he being mad at me is the last thing I wanted to do.

“I’m not, I’m not. I guess this is it” He said more of a statement than a question.

He move toward me and kissed my forehead. I felt like losing a friend for good and it feels terrible.

“I’m going to miss you.” He said while kissing my forehead.

“Don’t say that Ethan, you’re not leaving right?” Panic came over me by the thought of him leaving us here.

“We will meet again, like what you said we have to move on.” I can’t help but let a tear fall from my face. He wipes it already.