One

Katalina's POV - March 2016

I finished closing my suitcase when I heard a light knock on my bedroom door.

"Come in" I called out.

The door opened and my dad stepped inside.

"Done packing?"

I nodded and turned to face him. He smiled and made his way over.

"This hair color suits you"

I smiled as he tucked a strand behind my ear and kissed my forehead. I closed my eyes as he pulled me into a hug.

"You ok?"

I nodded and pressed my nose against his chest.

"I'll be fine" I told him as he rubbed my back.

He pulled away and smiled at me.

"Take a seat"

I looked at him and slowly nodded as I sat on the edge of my bed. Dad set my suitcase down and looked at me as he let out a deep breath.

"I talked with your mom last night"

I nodded and shrugged lightly.

"Have you spoken to him?"

I shook my head and he nodded slowly.

"Good, I would like for it to stay that way"

He took a seat next to me and raised an eyebrow.

"Ok" I told him.

Dad didn't allow me to date until I was 18 years old. After I was 18 and allowed to have a boyfriend my parents sat me down and told me that I needed to focus on school, and a boy would eventually show up. A boy did show up, and broke my heart.

"A boy like that is not worth your time"

He let out a sigh and looked at me.

"Alex told me something a couple of months ago that broke my heart"

I shifted and grabbed my Winnie the Pooh pillow pet. He looked at it and then at me.

"I was telling her how proud I was of her that at 25 she was a strong and independent woman"

I nodded and he looked at me as his eyes glistened.

"She told me something that made me realize that I should have been there more for my daughter"

He let out a long shaky breath and smiled at me.

"What did she say?" I asked.

"Beneath every strong independent woman lies a broken little girl who had to learn how to get up and to never depend on anyone"

He shook his head.

"I failed as a father to her, but I can do it right with you"

He touched my cheek and smiled.

"I gave her this advice in September when she started seeing Martin, and Barbara made a big deal out of it and I want you to understand this"

He rubbed my cheek.

"A strong woman will automatically stop trying if she feels unwanted. She won't fix or beg, she'll just walk away"

He smiled.

"He's going to come crawling back, and I hope by then you will realize that you do not need him in your life"

I nodded at him.

"When you least expect it, a guy will come your way and sweep you off your feet"

I smiled and he set his hand on the bed.

"What is it that Jaclyn says?"

I laughed and he smiled.

"I'll run my fingers through my own hair and grab my own ass"

He chuckled and looked at me.

"I wasn't looking for mom when I met her, it kind of just happened. Your time will come honey. Enjoy your Spring Break up in San Jose"

He kissed my forehead and pulled me into a tight hug.

"Love you Katalina"

I nodded against his shoulder.

"Love you too" I mumbled.

Hello all! I'm new to writing on this site, but I hope someone takes the time to read this story

Hello all! I'm new to writing on this site, but I hope someone takes the time to read this story. :)