Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

The next day was a complete repeat of the day before. Searching for a missing person. I was literally emotionally and physically drained. She was no where to be found. I felt lost. I couldn't even go out and enjoy myself with Sammie and the guys because I was so stressed out.

The blaring music from my cell phone woke me up the next morning.

"Turn it off!" Sammie begged putting the pillow over her head.

"Oh my god, you smell like a liquor store." I said picking up my phone. I had 2 missed calls from my house and one from an unknown number. I was just getting ready to dial my house number when the unknown number called again.

"Hello?" I asked quietly.

"Jasmine, it's mommy."

"Mommy where are you? I've been looking all over for you these past two days."

"You were? I'm at the police station."

"Police station for what?"

"They arrested me late last night. Can you come pick me up."

"Which station?"

"43rd in the Bronx."

"Okay. Did you call dad?"

"No but they did right before I called you. Hurry before he gets here please." she begged as I hopped up and threw on some clothes.

"I'm coming right now." I said tying my sneakers and ending the phone call. I rushed to my brother's room and tried to wake him up. He didn't budge. I made my way out of the apartment and downstairs.

"Woah, where are you going in such a rush?" Butch asked as I rushed off the elevator in the building lobby.

"My mom just called me. I have to get her before my father does. Come with me." I said as we ran out the building and hopped in a cab. I dialed Jim's number and told him where to meet us.

"You know, this is the first time I've seen you look this normal." Butch said laughing at my appearance.

"What do you mean by normal?"

"You know you always wear heels I barely see you in sneakers and sweats like you have on now. And your hair is everywhere." he said as I pulled it into a messy ponytail.

"Screw you." I said as he hugged me.

After about 30 minutes of driving, we finally arrived.

"How can I help you?" a short, chubby African American woman asked as we stood at the front desk.

"I'm here to pick up my mother."

"What's her name?"

"Cassandra Rivera." I said as the officer shook her head.

"She's been released already. About 10 minutes ago."

"Do you know who came to get her?" I asked as my body began to feel weak. If he got to her before we did, it would only mean trouble. I could feel my body heating up and shaking as she typed something else into the computer.

"No one. She was just let go. Anything else?"

"No thank you." I said as she rolled her eyes and Butch and I made our way outside. I stood on the stairs of the police station and broke down in tears. Every kind of negative thought ran through my mind.

"Its okay Jas. At least we know she's not with him." Butch said rubbing my back.

"Jasmine!" I heard a voice yell. I imagined I was hearing things until it became more clearer. I looked around but saw no one. "Jasmine!" the voice called out again. This time it was closer. I looked up and saw Butch looking at something and smiling. I turned around and saw my mother standing across the street. I ran to her and pulled her into a hug.