Chapter 43. ( The Spirits Of Gaia )

Bella is now around fifteen years old..

His love for her had always been sure, from the first moment he saw her until now, standing beside him proudly, her beauty intimidating as ever. His eyes wandered over her face, trying to assure him fully that she was really here, that she was still alive. Love had many faces and although his love had never faltered, he had been unsure of the form of love he held for her. He now knew exactly what he felt for her. His love had grown from one form to another and losing her had shown him how much he needed her. Nothing could ever separate him from her again, not even death. He would follow her wherever she went.

His epiphany about his feelings gave him a sudden need to tell her, to be honest to her. His decision came swift and certain and he smiled when he saw the vision of his plan come into Alice's mind immediately after. Finally there appeared to be a future for them and he pulled Bella closer. Alice smiled and gave him a quick wink.

'Bella.' He began slowly. 'Can I talk to you for a moment?'

She frowned and gave him a surprised look.

'You really think this is the best time?'

She pointed to the frozen vampires and Coraline. He didn't fully understand his urgency in sharing his feelings with her, but he couldn't stop himself. What if she would have died without ever knowing the truth?

'The only one Coraline can hurt is me and you have frozen the rest of them.' He gave her a meaningful smile. 'Time seems to be something that you will always have.'

Alice decided to help him.

'You can go, Bella, don't worry. We will wait for you and we won't let Coraline out of our sight.'

She took his hand and nodded. He led her into the forest, taking his time. Just walking with her, holding her hand was heaven for him. She was singing softly and it relieved them both of their stress. He knew he was unworthy of her. She was one of a kind, loving and sweet. She had never done a single thing wrong in her life. He had so much to answer for and had made so many wrong decisions he would never forgive himself. How little he deserved her though, didn't truly matter. Love had bounded his soul to hers and it would always be that way. A vampire's heart once lost was lost forever.

'Edward?' She interrupted his thoughts and stopped walking. 'Is something wrong?'

He turned towards her, taking a deep breath. Her eyes were staring at him and he saw a little bit of fear in them. He cursed himself for holding her in anticipation too long.

'I love you.' He whispered, passion in his voice.

The fear disappeared from her eyes and she smiled.

'I know and I love you too.'

The sparkle in her eyes took his breath away, but he knew she didn't fully grasp the meaning of his words. He placed his hand carefully on her cheek, looking straight in her eyes.

'No, I love you.'

She should understand this, having seen three in tune couples around her for almost her whole life. She did, he saw it in the way she looked at him. He placed his forehead against hers and closed his eyes.

'I love you.' He repeated again.

His breathing was calm and sure. He desired her of course just as every male specimen walking on this earth did, but it was not about desire. He wanted to cherish her, to be there for her always and every step of her long and hopefully happy life, to make her as happy as she made him and then make her even happier. In his many years he had never felt this kind of love for anybody and it was a beautiful thing, although it frightened him at the same time. Losing her had shown him the power this love held over him. They were tied to each other now. One cannot survive without the other.