Chapter 19. ( Past and present )

The enthusiastic yells of children finding their parents filled his ears. He was used to it and scouted the schoolyard for Bella. Carlisle waited patiently next to him. His father didn't pick Bella up often, because of his work, but if he had a chance like today he took it. Most of the children had left the school already. Normally Bella would have come running towards them by now. It worried Edward slightly. He used his senses, trying to catch her scent. He found it close to the door. She walked out holding the hand of her teacher. Bella pointed towards them and they walked closer.

Bella's father is picking her up, that's perfect. I have to take this opportunity to talk about Bella.

Edward and Carlisle walked closer too. They met halfway. Carlisle kissed Bella's cheek and Edward picked her up and held her in his arms.

'Her teacher wants something from us.' Edward whispered to Carlisle barely audible to vampire ears.

Carlisle turned towards the teacher.

'Good afternoon, Mrs. Hurst. I trust you are in good health?'

Always so polite and handsome. Too bad I am already married.

She extended her hand, which Carlisle took without hesitation.

'Hello, doctor Cullen, Edward.' She gave Edward a small nod. 'I am well, thank you, but please call me Charlotte. I am not that old.'

She indeed wasn't that old. Somewhere in her thirties, Edward guessed. She didn't look like a teacher, although she did have that firm look in her eyes, that teachers had to keep the children in line. She gave the impression of a free spirit, a little bit new age maybe. Strange that she was married, she didn't look the type.

'And you can call me Carlisle.'

'Is Bella doing alright?' Edward asked.

Hmm, that depends, but better talk about this somewhere else.

Edward stiffened a little bit. Did something happen to Bella? He let his senses roam over her, but couldn't find a hair out of place.

'If you have the time, I would really like to talk to you about something concerning Bella. It won't take long.'

Do you know what this is about, Edward?

Edward could hear his father's uneasiness. He softly shook his head. The teacher wasn't thinking about the reason yet.

We just have to go and find out then.

'Of course, we have time.' Carlisle answered politely.

The teacher picked Bella from Edward's arms.

'Bella, I am going to talk to Carlisle and Edward for awhile. You can go play with Mrs. Tilly.'

She pointed to another teacher and Bella walked away.

'Don't worry, my colleague will stay with her until we are done.' She turned back towards the school. 'Follow me please.'

They followed and settled inside an empty classroom.

'I have Bella in my class for quite some time now and there are some things about her that stand out.'

Carlisle nodded.

'The first thing and not the least of all is that Bella is considerably smarter than her fellow classmates. I think we should discuss placing her in an advanced program.'

Edward sighed relieved, this was something he had expected to happen.

'What exactly would that mean for Bella?'