Chapter 24. ( Changing rules )

'Liam! Liam!' Bella called.

The boy came running towards her and let himself drop in the grass besides her. She was lying on her belly in the garden, her feet in the air. One hand was supporting her head, while the other hand was close to her face. She was studying something in her hand with an excited look.

'Look, Liam. Isn't he beautiful?'

She stuck up her hand to let him see. Edward tried to see too, but they were quite a distance away from the house. The sun was shining, which meant they couldn't go outside with Liam around. It was an inconvenience, but worth it. Bella playing in the sun carelessly with her friend was worth everything. The sun made her happy, cheerful and Edward loved it. Her brown curls fell over her shoulders. Her hand lowered in an angle towards Edward and he was able to see what she was holding. It was a small caterpillar, colored brightly blue.

'Feel this, he is soft like silk.'

She caressed the caterpillar softly and held him up for Liam to touch.

'Careful,' she warned Liam, 'don't hurt him.'

Esme stood next to him, watching Bella and Liam just like Edward. Her face held a loving smile. Bella had turned eight last week, but she was still adorable and it was all over Esme's thoughts. Bella placed the caterpillar back on a plant very carefully.

'We shall not disturb you anymore, Mr. Caterpillar. You must have more important things to do, like turn into a beautiful butterfly.'

Esme gave Edward a proud look.

Each and every day I am happy she came into our lives.

Edward agreed wholehearted. Bella's love and care for everything that surrounded her was amazing and even though she was with them now for four years she still managed to astonish him with the size of her heart. Bella had jumped ahead intellectually again. There was not much left to learn for her in primary school, leaving Liam far behind, but that didn't seem to matter to her. She enjoyed his friendship nonetheless.

Jasper joined them with a smile. He could feel the loving climate of emotions coming from them. Half an hour later Liam left. His mother had forced him to go to his grandparents for the weekend, but every other free hour he had, he had spent with Bella. Liam clearly worshipped the ground she walked on. Edward understood how that felt. Jasper and Edward hurried outside. They were both eager to join Bella and enjoy the sun with her. Bella was still lying in the grass, reading a book. They sat down on either side of her and Bella turned around. She studied them intensely.

'You are always so beautiful in the sun.' She said with a smile.

She sighed and laid her head back on the ground.

Jasper frowned and felt the emotions she emitted.

'You are tired, very tired.' He said concerned.

'Yes, I don't know why. I am not usually this tired in the middle of the day.'

Edward looked at her worried and placed his hand on her forehead. Her temperature felt normal.

'You have no fever, but you do look a bit pale.'

Bella was never sick so this unsettled both Jasper and Edward.

'Why don't you rest for a little while?' Jasper suggested. 'We will wake you up before diner.'

She closed her eyes and grabbed their hands.

'Will you stay with me?' Her voice was already thick with sleep, but it was the undertone of fear that worried Edward.