Chapter 20. ( A cruel twist )

Bella was reading a book, leaning with her back against Edward's chest. He was reading with her over her shoulder. He drew in her scent. He couldn't believe that he once thought of her as food. He was so used to her scent now. His vampire reactions to it were all but eliminated. He understood Carlisle. You could get completely desensitized by a smell. Jasper walked in and smiled. He felt the peaceful serenity that came from them. Bella looked up from her book.

'Jazz!' She yelled excited and ran towards him.

'I have a question about my book and it is exactly your area of expertise.'

Edward, don't teach her to talk like that. She sounds like a grown-up.

'I didn't. She gets that from Carlisle.' Edward answered.

Jasper shuffled his hand through her hair.

'Tell me all about it.' He encouraged.

'It's about a girl and she is really sad, because her father left her and her mommy.'

What kind of book are you letting her read!

'She handpicked it herself.' Edward answered sharply.

'I understand why she is sad about that,' Bella continued, 'but then she gets really angry with her mommy.'

Her eyes were big with the mystery.

'If your mother is the one who stays then you shouldn't be angry at her, should you?'

Really Edward! As if she doesn't grow up fast enough without these kind of books.

He growled at Jasper.

Jasper just smiled in return and swept Bella from the floor.

'Emotions aren't always rational. Sometimes you blame the person that isn't really the one to blame.' Jasper explained.

'That's the explanation you come up with?' Edward asked sarcastically. 'Look who's talking!'

It was Jasper's turn to growl at Edward.

Okay, okay. I will do better.

'The girl can't accept that her father left and she fears it is because of her. To protect herself from this guilt, she turns to the only other source available, her mother. If it is her mother's fault the father left, it can't be her fault. Do you understand?'

Bella bit her lower lip in concentration.

'I guess so, but it still seems silly. She should blame her father for leaving and not her mommy or herself. It is obviously hard for her mother too.'

Unbelievable! She learns more from one book than some people learn in a lifetime and we are talking to a five-year-old.

'Well, to be fair, she is almost six.' Edward said jokingly.

Jasper laughed.

'Will you read the rest of the book with me, Jazz? I might have more questions.'

'Of course.'

They settled down on the couch next to Edward. It was kind of Jasper and Bella's thing. They were both addicted to books, just as Edward was addicted to music. Since her last dream of Esme's past a few months ago, Bella didn't have a new dream. She also didn't display any of her abilities in public anymore. Alice guided her very intensely in that department and Edward watched over the thoughts of Bella's teacher carefully. So far they were good. It had been peaceful months and Edward loved those times. Bella grew amazingly fast intellectually, probably the product of her own intelligence and of having seven knowledgeable teachers.