Chapter 32. ( Caroline )

The last days they would spend in Finland ticked away. They were in full preparation of their move to Forks. They planned it so that they had the summer holidays to settle in Forks. None of his family was looking forward to the move, mostly because of the werewolves, but Carlisle made the deal and he was not a man to break his word. It was Bella's last school day, so the boys decided to pick her up together. They drove there in Edward's car. Bella stood in the middle of the parking lot, talking to some of her female classmates. She hugged them and her expression was sad. Edward, Jasper and Emmett got out of the car and walked towards her. They attracted Bella's attention and the other girls walked away. Bella turned to them.

'I am ready. I have said my goodbyes.'

Emmett placed his arm around her shoulder and pulled her in his side.

'Sad about leaving this place?' Emmett asked.

Edward looked up, hearing familiar thoughts.

'Sam is on his way here.' He warned.

'Oh joy.' Both Bella and Jasper muttered at the same time, which made Emmett shake with laughter and Bella with him.

She pulled off Emmett's arm and looked towards the car. Edward guessed she was calculating her chance to escape before the boy was here.

Sam had been scared enough to leave her alone most of the time, but the fact that she was leaving gave him new courage. He had not much left to lose and decided to give it one last try. Sam was close by now, but he hesitated when he saw all of them.

Damn, all three of them. I have to talk to her alone, maybe she will even give me a goodbye kiss.

Sam daydreamed on that image and Edward had to brace himself to control his anger. Jasper noticed his anger, which intensified Jasper's annoyance with the boy. Emmett was still very amused. Sam had arrived.

'Bella, can I talâ€"'

Emmett placed his body slightly in front of Bella and interrupted Sam.

'Hush, don't talk to our girl.'

The boy's mind turned blank for a moment. Emmett was very intimidating.

'What if...' Sam took in a breath. 'What if she wants to talk to me?'

'Bella, do you want to talk to this idiot?' Jasper asked.

Bella's face held a mixture of amusement and pity.

'We should go.' She said, instead of answering Jasper's question.

Edward nodded and Jasper took her hand. Without another glance they turned around and left the thunderstruck boy behind.

'Goodbye Sam.' Bella said brightly, there was one advantage of moving to Forks.

Forks high school, Edward studied the place exasperated. They had all enlisted this time. They didn't want to, but had good reasons to do so anyway. First, they planned to stay many years in Forks and to avoid suspicion it was better if they started out as young as possible. Second, the wolves had emphasized their need to keep a watchful eye on Bella from this age on and although they couldn't be sure of the reasons behind this demand, they didn't want to risk Bella's safety. They decided to stay as close to her as possible. Third, they didn't trust the wolves enough to let Bella out of their sight. Last but not least was the reason only Edward and Jasper were aware of, Bella's life was not the only one at risk in Forks. Carlisle's deal contained more than just the promised move and Edward wasn't going to let anything happen to Carlisle or Bella. Going through high school again seemed like a small price to keep them both safe.