Chapter 29. ( Patience is a virtue )

Edward, Jasper and Carlisle were with Bella in her bedroom. She was still very upset with her dream. Jasper watched her concerned and regulated her emotions as he always did after and during her dreams.

'I saw a girl.' She said softly.

Carlisle and Edward listened intently. The content of this dream could be significant for their survival.

'She was like me.'

Their shocked eyes were on her face.

'I was under the impression that you are one of a kind, Bella. What do you mean exactly when you say she is like you?' Carlisle asked.

'I am not sure, but Aro wanted her almost as much as he wants me.' Her eyes went down. 'She looked a lot like me, though I could not see her face clearly.'

'You think she is your sister?' Edward asked incredulously.

'I don't know, but she has gifts just like me and Aro was looking for her.'

'Does that mean that he found her?' Jasper asked.

'Yes and he changed her.'

Jasper gasped aloud.

'What?!' Jasper shouted. 'Aro made an immortal child himself?'

Bella nodded slowly, her face full of emotion.

'It is the same thing he intends to do with me.' Her voice trembled slightly with fear.

Edward growled. He would sooner die than let that happen.

'Aro took a great risk by making the immortal child.' Carlisle said thoughtful. 'If word gets out about this, the Volturi will lose face and risk a rebellion.'

'I can't believe he would take such a risk. He must think that changing the child is the only way to gain power.' Jasper said.

Bella shook her head.

'He doesn't care about the law. He thinks he stands above it.'

They were all silent for a moment and Jasper turned his attention back to Bella.

'Bella,' he said gently, 'you are very upset. What else has happened?'

Her eyes went straight to Jasper and then to Carlisle and Edward.

'The girl was all alone and she was so afraid. She was living in a cave like a savage. There was no one to take care of her. I can't help but think that it could be me. If I weren't so lucky, if I wasn't found by you, I could be just like her.'

They all stared at her confused.

'I am the lucky one and I will never forget that. I will never stop being grateful for what you did for me when you took me in.'

Her praise was heartwarming, but it still hurt Edward. She was growing up so fast. Carlisle hugged her tightly.

'No need to be grateful, sweetheart. I wouldn't want it any other way. You are my daughter and I love you.'

'There is something else.' Bella said tensely, when Carlisle let her go. 'Aro feels confident that he can find me now that he found the girl. I am afraid we can't hide from him any longer.'

As if her words were doomed to come true, Jasper suddenly tensed. Edward hurried to read his mind.

It is Alice. She is very distressed.

Edward tried to read her mind, but her thoughts were chaotic and the images flew through her head. He needed her to focus so he could understand. Jasper was struggling at the same time. He felt a great need to run to Alice, but his thoughts were also on the other person he loved more than he loved himself. He was battling between the need to protect Bella and to be there for Alice. Edward had his own reasons to go to Alice as fast as possible. He grabbed Bella.