Chapter 39. ( Lost )

She sat alone in the dark. It was her own choice, she had asked them to leave her alone for a while and the respect they had for each other in her family was enough to honour her request. She was sitting against her wall on her bed with her arms around her legs and her head on her knees.

Never in her life had she felt like this, so lost and hopeless. She knew her enemies were countless and strong, but she had always thought she had a chance. She had kept hoping she might win, that she could protect her family and that she would be strong enough.

She now knew the truth. That chance was nonexistent.

There was no future for her. She was going to die and she was going to take everyone she loved with her. The pain this caused her, suffocated her. It was not easy to know your own death, but it was impossible to know the deaths of your loved ones.

She knew what she was going to do. It would be the hardest thing she ever had to do.

She had to leave them, all of them.

If her future was lost, she would be damned if she took her family and friends with her. There was still a way to protect them. She would have to get away from them and face her enemies alone. She was not afraid. She would face them with her head held high and she was going to die swinging. If she was dead, Aro and Maria had no reason to come after them anymore.

The moment these thoughts crossed her mind, she immediately knew her mistake, Alice.

The door of her room slammed open and Alice rushed in followed closely by Edward and Jasper.

'Why do I see you sneaking off in the middle of the night, Bella?' Alice accused her.

Busted! She thought, irritated with herself.

She should have known this would happen, she was smart enough to anticipate every move of her family. There was a reason she could play chess so well. She had to cover up her decision, otherwise Alice would know the minute she made a plan. She did something, she never thought she would do.

'It is nothing, it crossed my mind for a moment, but I am not going anywhere, trust me.'

She lied and it hurt her more than she ever thought possible, especially after seeing the hurt faces of Alice and Edward. The rest of the family gathered in her room, alarmed by Alice's rash actions.

'You are lying. Your mind is set, you mean to leave.' Alice answered pained. 'You never lie, Bella, never. What is going on?'

She pulled her head up from her knees and watched the faces of her family. They were not angry, mostly deeply concerned. She felt a pinch of sadness in her heart. They would always love and protect her and it meant so much to her.

She saw Emmett first, her big brother, who could always make her smile. She remembered the times they played and laughed together and how she could forget all her sorrows and dreams around him.

Rosalie was next, standing tall besides Emmett. Her big sister, who taught her to have the courage to act when necessary. Rosalie was like a lioness, protecting everything she held dear with claws and stubbornness, but she could be soft and sweet at the same time, telling her bedtime stories or combing her hair.

Esme's soft eyes answered her next. Her love and care had meant everything to her. She was so grateful for a mother with such a big heart, accepting everyone without hesitation.

Carlisle wasn't as calm as he normally was. His deep concerned look crossed hers. Right and wrong were concepts that lived strongly inside her and it was all thanks to him. He would always do the right thing and so would she, in honour of her father.