Chapter 17. ( Made to protect )

'You called us?' Billy asked.

Edward and Carlisle stared intensely at Billy and his pack of werewolves. Jasper was standing a little bit back, calming everybody's emotions.

'Yes, we need some information on Bella.' Carlisle spoke calmly.

'Is she alright?' Billy's eyes narrowed. 'Don't forget you owe me your life if the child is hurt in any way.'

Edward growled, stepping in front of his father.

What?!?

Jasper was so shocked he couldn't think anything else. Carlisle wasn't affected in any way. He stepped calmly from behind Edward. Edward knew this was a bad idea from the beginning. In a few split seconds, he thought back to their conversation not so long ago.

Carlisle was standing quietly in front of the window. He turned around to face Edward.

Bella's dream made me think about something, Edward. We are her family, but we know so little about her. We don't know what to expect. We need to be better prepared.

Carlisle was right. Even after a year, they didn't know so much more about her. They knew her very well as a person, but they knew nothing about who she was, what her abilities were and who she would become.

'What do you suppose we do?' He asked Carlisle.

We need to talk to the werewolves about her dream.

Edward tensed. Talking to werewolves was already very dangerous without Carlisle telling them Bella was hurt.

'No way! Your life is at stake.' His voice broke. 'You promised them...'

He was still completely devastated about this.

I'm her father, Edward. It is my job to protect her in every way I can.

Edward shook his head.

'It is too risky.'

We need more information and they might know more.

'Fine, I will go.'

No son, I am the one to do this. Billy Black will talk to me.

Edward was not at all happy with this situation, but he knew there was nothing he could do to convince Carlisle otherwise. It was best to go along.

'I am going with you and you should take Jasper with you too. He can keep things calm.'

Carlisle agreed.

Carlisle took a small step forward. The werewolves growled and Edward hissed to warn Carlisle. Jasper was not controlling their emotions as well as he should. It was probably because of his shock. Yes, this was most definitely a bad idea.

'Bella is not hurt.' Carlisle said strongly.

He was not lying. Physically Bella was perfectly healthy.

'We need to know what you know about her. We are her family and we have a right to know.'

Billy hesitated. The werewolves around him were in unison about their thoughts.

What do we care about the rights of filthy bloodsuckers. We should just take the child and kill them.

Billy was calmer. He was weighing his decision carefully. Jasper had recovered from his shock and was using his skills on Billy.

What could be the harm in telling them what we know? We already made the deal with them anyway.

Yes! Edward thought.

'Our knowledge comes from the magic of our tribe.' Billy's eyes glided over their faces. 'When our tribe first started to change their shapes, our tribe elder had a vision. He was at the point of dying, but with his last breath, he told the chief of his vision. In the future, a great war will ruin the land and its people. This war will destroy many innocent lives.'

It will mean the end of the tribe, because we are meant to preserve human lives. We will fight to the death. Hmm, I shouldn't tell them that.

'The elder told him there was hope, in the form of a special child. This child will be able to protect everybody. To find the child the tribe just needed to follow the signs. The elder died before he could tell the chief what the signs were. The chief was devastated, thinking all was lost. At that precise moment, a boy was born in the tribe. When the boy grew up and changed into a wolf like so many other warriors before him, the boy had a dream. He saw the child and the signs that would lead to her. From that time on, in every generation a new boy would be born with this same gift. The dreams about the child would start the moment the boys first changed shape, sealing the magic of their gift. Sometimes their dreams changed to different locations or different signs, but the child always remained the same. Every boy described her in the same way. We are very certain Bella is the child that can save us.'

Billy gave them a pointed look.

'We don't know much more, except that the child is made to protect. For that purpose alone was she placed into this world.'

Edward hissed again. He didn't like Bella being pictured as less than a person. She was not some sort of protection machine. She had a soul, pure and beautiful.

Everybody was silent and Billy's look saddened.

Bella is very special, but she is also to be pitied. She has to carry this burden. If she fails to fulfil her purpose there will be a hefty price to be paid. Many will die, maybe even everyone.

Edward felt the shock of this statement take his breath away. He realised this was not as much about Bella's failure as it was about theirs. They had mingled their lives with hers and the task of protecting her and the lives of many was now on their shoulders. He saw countless faces flash before his eyes. Would his family hold the key to saving them? The strings of destiny that were suddenly weaved in his family were much more than they had bargained for. He looked at Billy through different eyes. He had placed his life and everyone in his tribe in their hands.

'Well, at least we can sympathize now why you felt the need to take Bella out of our care a year ago.' Carlisle said softly. 'We thank you for your trust in us to keep her safe.'

'It is not you we trust, but the child. She placed herself in your family and we can't force her into something different. As long as she stays with you freely, we will let her.'

Carlisle nodded, his brow furrowed slightly. It was the only outward indication that he was annoyed by their prejudices.

'Bella experiences the past in her dreams. Can you tell us something about that?'

Billy was genuinely surprised.

I wonder how this gift can be used to protect.

Edward sighed. They irritated him with their firm beliefs of 'protector' Bella.

'We don't know the specifics of her gifts. We can't help you.' Billy suddenly realized the weight of the gift. 'How does this affect her?'

'Not good.' Carlisle answered.

Edward tensed. Did he really have to tell them that? To his surprise, Billy just nodded his understanding. He read the sympathy in Billy's mind. He cared for Bella as if he knew her.

'Who is the boy in this generation?' Edward couldn't help to ask.

'I am.' Billy said quietly.

I'm sorry that this chapter is short. But I promise the next chapter will be longer. Thanks so much for choosing my story. Hope you enjoy your day and have fun.

clariza0809...