Chapter 31. ( Unanswered questions )

Emmett was sitting next to Bella watching her sleep. Edward studied him. Emmett was more serious and quiet than he had ever seen him.

I was a fool to think Bella was safe from my past.

They waited for Bella to wake up as always. When she did, she looked at Emmett immediately.

'I am really sorrâ€"'

'None of that.' Emmett interrupted. 'You did nothing wrong.'

'No, I did.' Bella sputtered. 'I shouldn't haveâ€"'

Emmett pulled her in one of his enveloping hugs.

At least there is no reason for me anymore to refrain from bear hunting.

Edward sighed. Leave it to his brother to find some benefit in all the mayhem.

I didn't realize my fear was that strong. Maybe I should let Bella freeze me again, so I can try to control my reaction.

'Maybe you should.' Edward agreed.

Emmett nodded and looked down at Bella. She was still trembling slightly from her dream and Emmett held her closer.

Maybe later.

The next three years were peaceful again. Edward was still the only one Bella didn't dream about, for which he was extremely grateful. Bella was growing in a young woman, coming in her puberty years now. Her development had a strange curve. It had accelerated fast in the beginning of her life, but was now settling in a steady pace. Two years ago she had finished secondary school, but instead of going to high school before her years she chose to stay with her classmates and follow an advanced program. He was sure she had finished high school now in knowledge and intelligence, but was also sure she was going to go through high school nonetheless. She was like them in that area at least. He mostly blamed Jasper for her advanced knowledge. They spent hours in their free time studying history, art and literature together. It was a bond she only shared with him. Alice often complained that it wasn't normal for a girl to be more obsessed with books than with clothes.

Only one year left to spend happily in Finland. Billy Black sent Carlisle multiple messages to remind him of his promise. They had to move to Forks in one year.

Bella kept her distance from her classmates, not wanting to repeat her mistake with Liam. One boy managed to come a little bit closer to her. She tried to ignore him, but the boy was relentless and pursuing her with all his energy. It irritated Edward beyond reasonable annoyance. His name was Sam and he was an American boy. His father worked in Finland for a few years and Sam had moved with his father.

Liam had been a sweet boy, modest and polite. Sam on the other hand was the complete opposite. He had confidence, always putting attention on himself. It was one of the reasons he annoyed Edward so much. He was one year older than his classmates, which only strengthened his idea of his superiority.

Edward still picked Bella up from school most of the days and saw everything the boy tried to get Bella's attention. One day Edward waited for her in the schoolyard when he saw Sam and Bella walk outside together. He read Sam's mind immediately.

He was drooling all over her and compensating this behavior with his less than modest bragging.

'My father owns half of the company and that's why we live in the biggest house in Helsinki. Maybe you know it, House Halford?'

Bella was completely indifferent and Edward smiled. If he wanted to impress Bella, wealth was not the way to do it. He doubted Sam's father was richer than their family and besides that, Bella was not a very materialistic person. They always had trouble forcing her birthday gifts on her, which he had to admit were always too expensive and too extravagant. There was simply no way to stop Alice.