Chapter 22. ( Just a small mistake )

Alice sat stiffly in a corner, staring blindly in front of her for hours. Jasper did what he could, but even he didn't seem to be able to help her. Bella's dream had broken down the dam to Alice's past and it wasn't pretty. Sometimes a quiet sob came from her, but besides that, she didn't respond to anything. Jasper was going nuts.

Bella had recovered from her dream much sooner than Alice had and was sitting quietly in Carlisle's lap. She was staring, mimicking Alice in her behaviour. Carlisle caressed her cheek softly. Her head perked up and suddenly she jumped out of his lap. She walked towards Alice and climbed into her lap.

'I understand now, Alice.' She whispered softly.

Alice blinked once and her eyes turned towards Bella.

'By exposing yourself you lost your sister and you loved her.' Bella sighed deeply. 'I am so sorry.'

Alice's eyes went soft, gentle and she took Bella's face in her hands.

'I love you, sweetie.'

She held Bella's eyes for a moment longer and then looked up.

'Her name was Cynthia.' Her voice was hoarse with emotion.

Jasper sat down next to her and pulled her and Bella into his side, circling his other arm around them. Edward turned around to face Carlisle.

'We can't let this go on. We have to stop this.' His anger was barely contained in his voice.

'I don't know. We have all gained and learned from Bella's dreams.' Carlisle said thoughtful.

'What is she?' Jasper growled. 'Our personal psychiatrist?!'

'You are right.' Carlisle sighed. 'But how...'

He began to think and Edward followed his thought pattern.

This is an ability and it has to work in some way. I can't believe the dreams are completely random. There has to be some kind of trigger. If we can find the trigger, maybe we can prevent new dreams. Alice's visions are triggered by a decision, it could be something similar with Bella.

'If we want to uncover how to prevent the dreams from happening, we have to analyse the situation carefully. I need you all to think with me.'

Carlisle gathered his thoughts.

'This is what we know. There is no certain amount of time fixed in between the dreams. They can happen at any moment. She only dreams about us, so we can assume there has to be a strong connection between Bella and the person she dreams about. The dreams are always about the past. They seem to be moments in our pasts when we learn.'

'No,' Jasper interrupted, 'it is not just a moment we learn. It is a turning point in our lives. The moment that let us to here and now, that made us who we are.'

Edward nodded in agreement. All the situations in Bella's dreams were junctures in their pasts that placed them on the path that eventually let them to where they were now. The dreams were focal points in their destinies.

'Why only these moments?' Edward asked.

'What if this isn't about Bella at all?' Rosalie suggested. 'What if it is actually about us?'

Typically Rosalie to make it about herself. Edward gave her an annoyed look.

No wait, Edward. Just listen.

'What do you mean?' Carlisle asked.

'We could be looking at this from the wrong angle. We have always assumed Bella has to learn from our pasts, but maybe it is not Bella who has to learn.'