Chapter 12. ( A missing girl )

'Are we going to be too late?' He asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

He was driving top speed in his car towards her school. If someone saw him now they would think he was a lunatic. He wasn't inconspicuous and it was the first time he didn't care.

Yes.

Even the voice in her head sounded broken. All he could see in her visions of Bella's future was nothing, not even a single image.

'Does it mean she is...' He couldn't finish his question. The potential answer was too much for him to bear.

I don't know, but we have to try regardless.

Yes, they had to try. Edward knew that if there was even a small chance they could save her, he would give everything for that chance. Alice took out her phone, but Edward concentrated on getting to her school as fast as possible. Only flashes of the conversation Alice had with Carlisle came through his panicked haze.

'...on our way...'

'...call the others...'

'...follow us as soon as you're able...'

He came to a screeching stop in front of her school, when Alice hung up her phone. A group of small children was playing outside and they all looked up startled by the loud sounds of their arrival. The teacher outside was talking to another teacher and Edward sensed their panic. He was out of his car faster than humanly possible and Alice joined him. One of the teachers came to them. Her face was pained. She should have been surprised by their arrival, but her mind was too busy panicking.

This is terrible! What if she got hurt because of me. I could never forgive myself.

'You are the relatives of Bella, aren't you?' She asked timid.

'Yes, where is she?' Alice answered, her voice tense.

Oh no! This is really bad!

Edward almost growled aloud, but could keep it inside just barely.

'A man came. He told me he was her uncle and he needed to talk to her. He told me it was very important and Bella seemed to be unafraid of the man. She even smiled to him. I let him talk to her outside, the kids were playing there, but kept my eyes on them. Everything seemed to be alright.' She was on the verge of falling apart. It was a miracle her story came out so clearly. 'I turned my head for maybe three seconds, I swear, but when I turned back they were gone.'

Tears ran over her cheeks and she trembled fervently.

'I am so sorry.' Her voice was barely audible. 'I called the police.'

Edward wanted to hate her, to hate the woman that lost his precious Bella, but it wasn't really her fault. A normal human could have never taken someone in such a short time and he read in her mind that she spoke the truth about the three seconds. No, something other than human had taken Bella and there was no way the police or any other human bureau could help them.

'Where did you see them last?'

He didn't have to wait for her answer. In her mind he saw the place as clearly as she did. Woods were surrounding the school, just like everywhere else and it was likely they had disappeared in there.

'Follow me.' He hissed low to Alice and before the startled teacher could respond they had disappeared in the forest, following the scent of Bella mixed with werewolf.

Edward stopped in his tracks the moment he smelled the slightly human scent mixed with wolf strongly. In front of him were standing four werewolves in their human form. The odds were going to be two against one. Edward was not impressed. He was sure he and Alice could defeat them easily. Alice was behind him, but she was not far.