Chapter 15. ( Nightmares )

Two years had passed since Bella joined them. Alice had decided to make the day Edward found her Bella's birthday. The whole family was very enthusiastic about it. They never had an opportunity to celebrate real birthdays and Alice went out of her way to ensure Bella received the party she deserved. Alice thought of everything, cake, decorations and presents and she invited all of Bella's classmates. Bella knew nothing about it.

Edward was concerned about one thing. Bella had settled in school and didn't find it unpleasant to go, even after what happened there, but the children in her class didn't seem to interest her as much as they should. Her classmates tried very hard to get her attention, which she politely gave, but it was never more than that. She opened up so easily to everyone in his family, but was almost completely closed down to everyone else. First he thought she just needed time, but after a year she still didn't have even one human friend. He pondered about it silently the night before Bella's birthday. He was standing in the living room, staring blindly outside.

Something bothering you, son?

Carlisle stood beside him.

'I am concerned.'

Bella?

Edward smiled. His father knew him well, if something was worrying him it was almost always about Bella.

'Alice invited all her classmates for her birthday party tomorrow, but I am wondering if Bella is going to appreciate this gesture?'

Why wouldn't she? Every little girl likes the attention she gets on her birthday.

'She has been in school for a year now, but did you ever hear her talk about someone in school she really likes? She never asks to play with anyone after school or brings a friend with her.'

Do you think the other children don't like her?

'No, I have read their minds and most of them like her. They find her interesting and kind.' Edward sighed. 'If there is any estrangement between Bella and her classmates it is mostly because Bella lets it be that way.'

I can't believe she would purposely do that. She let us into her heart so easily.

'I heard the thoughts of one of her teachers. Bella is never unkind to them and she helps them. She just keeps them at a distance. The teacher is concerned about it. She thinks Bella is too closed down compared to a normal child.'

You are concerned this is our fault.

Carlisle hit a nerve there. He was worried that living with them made her less perceptible for human contact.

'What if living in our world, makes her an outsider in theirs?'

I don't think you can put it that simply, Edward. You forget that Bella is an outsider to begin with. She may look like a human and feel like one, but she is not one of them. She doesn't realize this yet, but subconsciously she probably feels this very well. Maybe she feels that she doesn't belong in their world.

It pained him to think of Bella as an outsider in any kind of world.

'What should we do about it?'

I am not sure we should do anything about it. If Bella is happy living like this then why should we force her in another life? She laughs, she plays, she learns and she grows. What else can we expect from a child?

Yes, what else? Edward agreed.

Listen son, people always try to put everything special or out of the ordinary back to what they believe is normal behaviour. What if this life is what Bella needs? Would you really want to force her into something different?