Chapter 26. ( Immortal child )

Bella stood silent next to Liam's hospital bed. Edward studied her. She seemed beyond sad. He walked towards her and placed his hand on her shoulder.

'Carlisle told me he is going to recover fully.' He reassured her.

Liam was asleep, in result of his medication. He had a head trauma, but considering how much worse it could have been, the boy was lucky. His grandparents had not been so lucky. After getting rid of the last of the newborns, Kate, Jasper and Emmett chased after Maria, Edward, Carlisle and Bella rushed Liam to the hospital, Rosalie and Alice went to Liam grandparent's house to call the police and fabricate a believable story. As they expected they found both his grandparents dead. Maria had no use for the elderly couple, so she had killed them ruthlessly.

'He isn't...' Bella replied, but her voice died out.

He couldn't stand seeing her this unhappy. In these moments he hated the fact he couldn't read her mind. It would have been so much easier to understand what she was going through.

'What is on your mind, Bella?' He asked gently.

She was quiet for a long while and Edward grew more uneasy with every passing second. He wished he could know how to comfort her.

'Please, talk to me.'

She sighed deeply.

'He is not going to be okay.' Her voice was steady again, but layered with sadness. 'He just lost both his grandparents and was attacked by monsters.'

Edward flinched by her use of the word monsters and cursed himself immediately after. He was banned from showing his self-disgust. He checked her quickly to see if she caught his reaction, but to his relief she seemed to have missed it. She was wallowing too much in her own sorrows.

'It is all my fault.' She whispered, but Edward caught it crystal clear.

He turned her towards him and looked at her.

'It is not your fault, you hear me.'

'It is!' She replied immediately. 'If he wasn't my friend, this would have never happened to him.'

Edward swallowed. His first response was to comfort her, to tell her it wasn't true, but he knew better. She responded in exactly the same way he would have responded if he was in her shoes. Maybe he wasn't the right person to talk to her right now.

'It was better if I never existed.' She said with a hard voice.

Edward inhaled sharply out of shock. It pained him to hear her say that, but it pained him more to let her think of herself in that way. He had to do something.

'I almost got you all killed,' Bella responded to his shock, 'Liam's grandparents died because of me and Maria isn't the only one who is going to hunt me.'

Tears began to fall over her cheeks.

'You should get as far away from me as you can. All of you.'

'Bella! Stop talking like that, right now!' He said agitated.

It wasn't the right move, he knew that, but it was the only response he had in him. Fear of losing her prevented him from thinking straight. Her face turned angry. Bella was never angry.

'What are you going to do, Edward? Fight off everyone who comes for me, until you get yourself killed?'

'That is exactly what I am going to do.' He growled.

It was their first somewhat argument and Edward didn't like it. She shouldn't have doubts she belonged with them. She needed to understand she was worthy of their love and protection. She never had any doubts before. He was struggling to find the right response to convince her she was wrong.