Chapter 40. ( In between enemy lines )

Edward was playing his piano without thinking about the keys he hit. He needed to do something until Bella returned, because otherwise he would go crazy. Carlisle and Esme were watching the news in the living room, Rosalie was in the garage working on her cars, Jasper and Emmett were out hunting and Alice was standing like a statue next to the piano. He knew that the only thing on the mind of all of them was Bella. Alice had been checking her future from the moment she left until now, seeing nothing the whole time.

Edward played another set of keys, his mind was in Alice's head, following her empty visions. Suddenly Edward hit the keys falsely and loudly, making a sound that mirrored his sudden panic. His whole family was immediately alert. Even when he didn't think about it he could play the piano flawlessly, so there was no way he made a mistake. He had seen Bella's future in Alice's head and it was the cause of his panic. Carlisle and Esme were rushing in quickly.

'What is wrong?' Carlisle asked.

'It is Bella.' Alice answered. 'She has left us.'

Bella was leaving a lot of decisions open referring to her escape, all because of Alice's visions. She could see the other side of the water she was crossing with the ferry. She needed to decide what to do next. The quickest way to get to the other side of the country was of course a plane. Money was not an objection, she had a creditcard and a lot of money in cash. The trouble with an airplane was that once she was stuck on it, she couldn't get off and to make sure her family couldn't follow her, she needed to switch destinations as often as possible. The best way to do that was by train. She would take a bus to the nearest train station. Her family couldn't follow her on the ferry as long as the sun was shining and it was the shortest way to Victoria. Before they could finally reach Victoria by car, she would be long gone.

'What do you mean, Bella has left us?' Rosalie asked, arriving from the garage.

'She has gone off on her own.' Alice answered.

'How could she, she was with a half a dozen werewolves?' Esme asked.

'I don't know, but somehow she shook them off, she is alone on a ferry.'

Those stupid dogs, can't trust them with anything. Rosalie thought. I knew we should have never left her alone with them.

'What is she going to do, Alice?' Carlisle asked.

'The only thing I can see is that she is going to take a train, no, many trains. Her destination is unclear.' Alice's look saddened. 'She is doing this on purpose, she is making sure I don't know where she will go.'

'But if she is doing this intentionally...' Esme started. It means she has really left us. 'Why?'

Esme was devastated and the rest of the family with her. Edward could only feel the panic of his precious Bella on her own in a much too dangerous world. His only concern was her safety and not the reasons she might have for her disappearance.

'It could only mean one thing.' Carlisle said softly. 'She thinks she is protecting us from something.'

'Her life is in danger.' Edward concluded breathless.

He could hardly say the words, but remembered her depression right after the dream a few days ago. It had to be the moment she had realized it was over for her.

'We have to get her back.' Edward said with frantic impatience.

He started to run towards his car, when Carlisle's thoughts halted him.

Edward no! Tarry a moment.

He wanted to growl to make his impatience known, but Carlisle's severe look stopped him.