Chapter 42. ( Master of time )

Edward was staring at his Bella. He had her back, she was alive and well. Their race against the clock had not been in vain. She was turning towards him, calling his name. He stretched out his hand further in her direction, inviting her to join him, to be at his side. Her beautiful face stared at him, her eyes gleaming with the recognition of his soul towards her own.

'Come back to me, Bella.' He whispered.

She had turned her back completely towards Coraline and took a step in his direction. The relief he felt was everything. She took another step but it seemed to go so slowly that he believed he was seeing things in slow motion instead of real time. Behind Bella he saw a silvery flash. Suddenly alarm held his breath and he gasped. Bella's eyes flew open in surprise, when a scream of agony left her lips. Edward rushed forward, running with everything he had.

'No!' He yelled.

Words echoed in his mind, the other child will be the means to either turn her or destroy her.

Bella's mouth was opened in a silent gasp and he saw her fell forward in the grass. He was at her side a moment later, but it was too late. Out of her back stuck a silver knife and blood coloured the ground red. He pulled out the knife and turned her around to see her face.

'Bella, no!' He begged, seeing her white face. 'Don't leave me, don't you dare leave me!'

She tried to breathe, he could see her struggle. It hurt him more than everything he ever felt in his life. Her eyes flickered and the sparkle he had loved from the first moment he saw her left her eyes. Her heartbeat, the heartbeat he could feel anywhere, that was the sole purpose of his ability to hear, grew fainter, until he couldn't hear it anymore. She was dying right in front of his eyes. He screamed and he begged. He kept her heart moving and he even bit her many times, everything to keep her alive. There was nothing.

Her heart wouldn't beat anymore and it never would again. She was dead. He had lost her.

The pain was excruciating. Agony filled his lungs as he watched her dead face. He shook her one last time, praying for his nightmare to end, only to get nothing in return.

He grew silent, stoic. The world, his family, his enemies, nothing interested him anymore. His eyes were blind for everything besides her white face, her broken body. He pressed her body into his, catching her lingering scent. He sat like that for hours, days, years, time had no meaning anymore. Nothing had meaning.

He prayed for someone to take his life, to end his misery. He wouldn't live without her, he couldn't. He was giving up and he didn't care.

Slowly he felt the life being sucked out of his body. He did nothing to stop it, he even embraced it. His end lingered. Blissful nothingness would take him and he wanted it. He had lost his soul mate, the greatest of all loves and with it he had lost his will to live.

'Edward! Edward!'

Her calls were useless. He couldn't see her or hear her. Coraline's ability was strong and certain.

'He is dying.' Jasper said alarmed. 'If we don't do something fast, it will be too late.'

'How can he be dying? He is a vampire.' Emmett asked.

'I am not sure, but I can feel it. He is losing his will to live. I will try to help him, but I can only stall.'

Edward wasn't the only one dying. Around them many vampires were as close as Edward or even worse. Jasper held on to Edward with his entire gift.

'We have to kill, Coraline. She can't kill Edward if she is dead herself.' Emmett suggested, looking threateningly towards Coraline.

It was a way. Coraline couldn't defend herself from them. Her powers didn't work on the rest of the Cullens. Coraline seemed to realize that possibility the exact same moment, because one by one she released the vampires around them. Carlisle stopped Emmett's advance in the direction of Coraline when many vampires made a large circle with them in the middle. They were surrounded.