Chapter 14. ( The sacrifice )

They arrived home quickly. Esme and Rosalie were waiting for them to throw their arms around Bella and the rest of the family. Bella was completely exhausted, so they brought her to bed immediately after diner.

Edward sat next to Bella. She was sleeping soundly. He was afraid that she would have trouble sleeping after her awful experience and was glad to see her peaceful expression. He stayed with her just in case. Carlisle walked in quietly and sat beside him.

How is she?

'Relatively well, she was asleep before I could finish her song.' He whispered.

She is strong.

'Yes she is.' His voice held so much love that Carlisle smiled.

Carlisle watched her for a moment, his thoughts solely on Bella, until he stood up to leave again. Edward was not prepared to let him go yet. His curiosity burned and an unknown fear struggled inside his heart.

'What did you say?' He asked before Carlisle could leave.

I assume you are referring to my negotiation with Billy Black?

He nodded and Carlisle sighed. His thoughts were guarded and Edward was sure there was something he didn't want him to know.

I told Billy how important Bella was to our family, that she belonged with us. I swore that we would always protect her.

'And that was enough?' He asked sceptically.

No, I had to make a deal. The werewolves are allowed to come to our home at any time and any moment to make sure that Bella is still perfectly fine.

Edward shook his head. Great, now they will have to put up with the dogs twenty for seven.

I also had to promise to return to Forks and stay there with Bella, in exactly ten years.

'Why?'

He was cryptic about the reason, telling me only that they wished to be able to watch over her closely from that time on.

'What if they mean her harm?'

I don't think so, Edward. He said it was for her protection only. We will all move to Forks and watch over her. She will still be living with us.

Edward thought about it and Carlisle watched him, still guarding his thoughts carefully. Something was not right. There was no way the werewolves would let her go this easily. They were quite determined to take her away. There had to be something else, something Carlisle wasn't telling him.

'You are hiding something from me. What else did you have to do?' His voice trembled when he asked this question.

Somewhere deep inside him he already knew the answer, but he couldn't acknowledge it until he heard it from Carlisle himself. Carlisle shook his head and Edward couldn't read the answer. Carlisle was very good in controlling his thoughts around him.

They were in a tight spot, going up against too many vampires. Billy saw the wisdom in making this deal.

It sounded logical. The werewolves were on the losing hand and making the deal would be in their best interest.

No, something was not right. He had seen their minds and they would have fought to their deaths. It was too simple, too easy.

'Father, please just tell me. What else did you have to offer him?'

Carlisle turned his back to him and took a few steps to the door. For a moment Edward thought he wasn't going to know the answer, but then he heard a soft whisper in his mind.