Chapter 37. ( The firstborn )

Excruciating pain went through her body. It was all she could see and all she could feel. She pressed her hand against her chest, trying to make the pain less, to protect it. The nausea and panic blinded her sight. Suddenly she felt two cold hands gripping her face tightly.

'Bella, listen to me!' A familiar voice told her. 'You are awake! You are not really feeling this pain anymore. Let it go. Focus on your breathing.'

Her breathing was ragged and irregular and she tried to concentrate on it. She inhaled in hiccoughs and kept her breath in as long as she could. She repeated this process a few times and slowly felt the pain flow away. Her sight returned and she stared in the tortured eyes of Jasper.

'Jazz!' She exclaimed and threw herself in his arms.

He held her tight and she pressed her face in his chest, wetting his shirt with her tears. The shock of her dream pressed hard on her shoulders and all she could do was cry. She stiffened, when her brain started to work a little more rationally. She entangled herself from Jasper and tried to stand up.

'Liam! I have to go!'

She took a step, but was stopped by multiple cold hands.

'Tell us what is going on, Bella.' Carlisle said, easing her back on her bed.

She hesitated, but saw the determined looks from her family in the room. They were never going to let her go until they knew.

She explained softly, wincing in pain again when she told them of the torture Liam had gone through. She saw Edward's face contract in fury and he wasn't the only one.

'Maria talked to you through your dream?' Carlisle asked incredulously.

'Yes, she knew all about my dreams of the past. She says she wants to have a talk with me.'

'Why would Maria want to talk to you this badly?' Emmett asked.

'She doesn't really want to talk to me.' Bella answered.

She stared in the confused faces around her.

'If I come to her and she knows I will, she will know everything about me. She will know all my secrets. What I can do, who is in my life now and what I feel.'

Her eyes glided over Edward for a short moment.

'She will know about the werewolves too.'

Carlisle nodded.

'Maybe you are immune to her abilities, just like you are immune to Jane's and Edward's. It is very plausible that her abilities work in the same way as Edward's and that would make you immune.'

'Even if I am,' Bella answered immediately, 'you most certainly are not and I don't think you will let me go alone.'

Their determined faces told her she was right.

'And even if you will let me go alone, they definitely wouldn't.' She pointed to the wolves.

'Not even a chance.' Jake answered and Bella sighed.

'I am very sorry to say this, Bella.' Jasper said seriously. 'I don't think you should go at all. One human boy is not worth risking your life for.'

She looked at Jasper immediately, seeing in his eyes the true reason behind his suggestion. He was afraid of losing her.

'You know I can't do that, Jazz.' She whispered softly. 'Liam is innocent and Maria will torture him and his family until I come. I have no choice. I can't stay here and let Liam suffer the consequences of who I am, but if I go Maria will know all of our secrets and I will risk placing myself in her power again. Either way I lose.'