Chapter 27. ( Goodbye twice )

Edward sighed deeply. Bella had calmed down finally and talked for hours with Tanya about her past. Her power was getting seriously out of control. It seemed her dreams could be brought on so easily. Why did she have to see Tanya's past? What did she learn from that experience? Edward didn't have the answers and Carlisle was for once at a complete loss what to do. It seemed that no matter how hard they tried Bella's dreams where the one thing they couldn't protect her from and Carlisle wondered if they even should.

She has these dreams for a reason, Edward. I am convinced of that fact, especially after her warning dream of Maria's past. I don't know what those reasons are exactly, but I am sure that will reveal itself in due time. I want to protect her from everything, but maybe this is her burden to bear.

Edward gave him an empty look.

Maybe you should accept this, son and just help her in the best way you can.

Should he stop fighting? Was he ready to give up?

He stared at Bella, who was sitting next to Tanya and Eleazar talking about the Volturi. He saw her serious face, while she asked Eleazar questions. With each dream she learned, but Edward realized that with that knowledge came a price. Every time she had a dream she lost a piece of her innocence.

He couldn't stop fighting.

'Edward?' Bella asked timidly.

The Denali's had left for which Edward was grateful. No more dreams from them, at least.

'Yes, Bella.'

'I saw the Volturi in my last dream of Tanya's past.'

Edward nodded to her. He knew that piece of information.

'They are bad, aren't they?' She asked, somewhat convinced of the truth in her own statement.

'It is not that simple, Bella. They are bad to some extent, but they make sure everybody follows the law. Without them there would be chaos in the vampire world.'

'Why?' Bella asked, clearly confused.

'Because our existence needs to be a secret. Humans would not understand us, they would be afraid of us.'

Bella shook her head.

'I can understand that secrecy is important, but I saw them kill Tanya's mother and her boy in front of Tanya's eyes. Don't they know mercy and forgiveness?'

'No, I am afraid they don't Bella. They are bad if you look at it from that side.'

'I don't see the other side. I can't understand how it is right to take someone's life, even if that person broke the law.'

Edward didn't say anything. He felt the pain caused by her statement. He had once been bad in Bella's eyes, at the time when he had killed humans who had broken the law. He was careful not to show it though. Carlisle looked up immediately from the paper, he was reading on the other side of the room, alerted by Bella's statements and how that would affect Edward. He nodded to Edward when he saw Edward's expression was composed.

She has a strong sense of morality. It is difficult to believe she could be influenced towards the wrong side. Carlisle thought.

Edward agreed. He wanted to believe that Bella's soul would always stay pure.

'I ask you, because I never realized that you were this good compared to most of the other vampires.' Bella smiled. 'I always knew you were good of course, but now that I saw how other vampires act, I think you are remarkable.'

It was a praise he didn't deserve, but he smiled to her and kissed her cheek.

'Want to play a game of chess with me?' He asked.