Chapter 25

Ariana's P.O.V.

It's Wednesday morning as I walk downstairs and into the kitchen where my Aunt Dolly makes breakfast.

"Good morning sweetie"She smiles at me and places my plate of breakfast on the table. She turns around and begins pouring a glass of milk.

You can do this Ariana. Just let the words fall out of your mouth. I inhale a big breath and let it out.

"G-Good M-Morning"I stutter and finally let myself talk in front of her.

I watch as she stops pouring the milk and she slowly turns around. She stares at me wide eyed and shocked.

"You just said good morning! At least I think you did, I'm not just hearing things right?"She asks.

"No, I said good morning"I speak in front of her again and a huge smile plasters over her face.

"Ooh how I have missed hearing that beautiful voice of yours"She pulls me in for a hug.

"I mean I've heard you talk to Justin but it feels so good hearing you talk to me"She squeezes me tightly.

"Okay Aunt Dolly, losing my breath here"I say and she lets go. "Sorry about that, I'm just so happy that you've finally decided to open up and talk to me"She says.

"Sit, please. We have ten minutes until I have to take you to school"She motions for me to take a seat. She sits across from me and I begin eating my food.

"How has school been going?"She asks me.

"It's been good I guess. As you can see, I've decided to change my style back to the way it was. I've been downgrading myself ever since my parents died and I miss just being a normal teenager"I tell her.

"I love you so much Ariana. I know I'm not your mom and I will never replace your parents but I'm here for you. I want you to always know that. Your going off to college soon. Let me tell you now, the college life is a whole different world. I believe in you and I know your gonna make it out there"She tells me.

"Thanks Aunt Dolly. I love you too. I'm sorry it took me this long to actually talk to you"I tell her.

"Oh it's alright. Don't worry about it"She shrugs it away.

"How are your grades though?"She asks concerned. "They are okay. At first when my parents passed, they went spiraling down the drain but I've managed to get them back up"I tell her.

"That's good, I'm proud of you"She smiles. "How is that Lexi girl? Aren't you guys like best friends? I've been meaning to ask you about her. I haven't seen you hanging out with her lately"She asks and I sigh.

"Me and her aren't the greatest of friends right now. But don't worry, I plan to make amends this weekend on my school trip"I say.

"Are you excited? The trip sounds like a lot of fun"She says. "Yeah. I've always wanted to visit Santa Monica"I say.

"Just be careful and don't stray away from the group"She points her finger at me. Justin mentioned to me that we were probably gonna sneak away at some time in the trip and have fun alone. That's something I'm looking forward to.

If I was with Brad I probably would have been skeptical about the idea. But with Justin, it's like I can't keep my mind straight and remember what's right and wrong.

Monday night I couldn't fall asleep at all. I kept thinking about the way the police chased us down and how we got away. I was terrified that at any second they would storm through my house and arrest me.

I had to stop those thoughts immediately and think of how Justin isn't worrying and I shouldn't either.

I want to be like Justin. I don't want to be the scared little girl anymore. My conscience was right that night, I loved every bit of the illegal graffiti and the chase by the cops. It made me feel alive.