Chapter 31: Only One Can Remain

Chen's Ferry arrives at an island.

"Welcome to Chen's Island. The Tournament of Elements welcome its brave fighters. Master Chen will be pleased you've returned, Sensei Garmadon" Clouse says as everyone unloaded the boat.

Garmadon narrows his eyes "The pleasure is all mine, Clouse."

"I'm sure it is" Clouse replies.

"Move it people," Lloyd call out annoyedly.

"Definitely feeling some tension between you two" Jay comments as they continued walking.

"Yeah, and how is it we're on an island I've never seen on any map?" Kai questions

"And care to explain how the face to Ninjago's most popular noodle house is secretly assembling an underground fighting tournament?" Cole adds.

"So many questions," Aria yawns "and no answers.

"Why are you still here?!" Kai turns to her, noticing her and Lloyd were walking beside them.

"If we had a choice, we'd be 50 feet away," Lloyd replies irritated.

Aria rolls her eyes before pushing Lloyd ahead of the ninja, them now walking in front of them.

"Master Chen used to be a friend." Garmadon says, getting the ninja's attention "Now he's a traitor. During the Serpentine Wars, Chen turned against his own kind and sided with the treacherous snakes."

"He used deception to divide the Elemental Masters. We barely defeated the Serpentine, and in a deal for his surrender, Chen was to never leave this island. Little did we know, he'd begin to build his criminal empire from here" Garmadon explains.

"Well, he's not going to divide us," Kai says.

"And he's not gonna divide me," Reika stares ahead of them at Aria "from dat ass."

Kai smacks her in the head and Reika whines.

"Can't I make a joke?" Reika says as she rubs her head.

"No" The ninja and Garmadon reply in unison.

The Elemental Masters arrive inside the palace and sat in a circle. Lloyd and Aria once again sitting beside the ninja.

"Why do we always end up near them?" Lloyd mutters

Zugu bangs a gong, and a gramophone plays music.

"All rise for Master Chen" Clouse commands and everyone stood

Chen walks in with several of his servants "Welcome to the Tournament of Elements. Now everyone can all di-" the door sudden closes loudly and everyone gasps "-rect your attention to me!" Chen laughs

Chen looks around amused from his throne "Never before have so many Elemental Fighters been under one roof. I see Master of Fire, Earth, Shadow, Speed, even a prophesied Green Savior. And a former pupil has returned."

"Alright" Chen points to the gong "This symbol before you are for the Anacondrai, fiercest Serpentine warrior to ever roam this land. Its creed: "Only one can remain."

The gong moves aside, showing a bracket.

Chen takes out a green blade "Behold, a Jadeblade. Here, it represents life. Obtain it, move on. Allow your opponent to take it, loser. The rules are simple. Every match will be different. No two fights will be the same. Your powers will keep you in the Tournament. Use it or lose it."

"Win and stay on the island. Win it all, and you'll receive fortunes beyond your wildest dreams, and lifetime supply of Master Chen noodles. But no one is here because of noodle. You want the glory of being the greatest fighter in all of Ninjago!" Chen shouts, everyone but the Ninja cheer.