Chapter 30: The Invitation

Almost a year had passed, Aria and Lloyd had cleaned up the entire castle along with the ruined town. It was looking like a real kingdom again, but a lonely one as it had no citizens.

"Holy shit!"

Aria perked up from her spot on the couch, across from her was Lloyd, shutting the adult novel of the Servant of Evil. Aria had read it prior to him, still shocked from it as well.

"I was right, wasn't I?" Aria questions

"Yeah, you weren't kidding," Lloyd shook his head "That was brutal... Princess Sophia and Noah were beheaded by their own people. I mean- in the children's book it said they died, but it wasn't like graphic."

"I know," Aria laughs "your reaction is priceless though."

"I'm just.." Lloyd put the book down "why is that our hint?!"

"The end of the story is they were beheaded," Aria sighs "but what does that mean for us?"

"That we're gonna die too?" Lloyd questions.

"I guess," Aria leaned back against the couch "but it doesn't make sense why dad and everyone keeps saying 'they don't know.'"

"You're right." Lloyd agrees "I'm at a loss."

The two jumped in their seats when there was a sudden knock at the door.

"Did you hear that?" Lloyd questions

"Nope," Aria shook her head fast.

Lloyd stood up from the couch and headed to the door.

"Lloyd don't!" Aria ran after him.

When Aria got to the door, Lloyd was holding an envelope. Aria walked towards him slower as he opened it.

"It's addressed to you," Lloyd tells her before reading the letter "Master Chen personally invites you to compete in the Tournament of Elements as the Master of Darkness. I know you have questions, and I have the answers. You may bring that S- no it's crossed out," he shook his head and continued reading "friend you're so fond of, but only Elementals can compete. Princess Aria of Del." Lloyd paused in shock before finishing "we've been awaiting your return."

"Awaiting my return?" Aria questions as she takes the letter from him.

"Their's an address where we're supposed to meet them," Lloyd says curiously.

"You have questions and I have the answers," Aria repeats.

"You're not seriously thinking of going, are you?" Lloyd asks.

"Well..." Aria turns to him "He said I can bring you."

-

Aria stares at the paper in her hand as she approaches the docks with Lloyd behind her, they were late. Yet, the boat remained there, they weren't just inviting her to come; they expected her to. The guards suddenly all stand up straight as a man with a mustache and an evil look, walks down towards her.

"Princess Aria," the man greets her with a deep bow "we've been expecting you."

"Were you now?" Aria questions "I'm more interested in how you know who I am?"

"All questions will be answered in time my lady," the man stood up straight "I am Clouse. I serve the organizer of this competition, Master Chen..." Clouse's eyes shifted to Lloyd who stood with a suspicious look behind Aria "I see, he is with you."

"I never go anywhere without him." Aria responds calmly.

"You never did," Clouse says as he stood aside, gesturing for her to board to boat.