Manipulate Fate!

Hey!

I had a lot of fun with this chapter!

Back to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How did you return to the past?" Jeanne asked Kalina.

Kalina stared at Jeanne for a moment but turned to Gabby, who was now preoccupied with sifting through the rubble of the ruined building, looking for anything of value. Turning back to the Battle-sister Jeanne, Kalina pulled the armoured Vulpo away from Gabby and out of earshot.

"What do you know!?" Kalina whispered harshly at her.

Jeanne shrugged, "Not enough... As I told you before, Goddess Kjarr flipped out when you appeared out of nowhere. You died less than ten years ago, but here you stand, a fully grown woman..."

Kalina stared at Jeanne with uncertainty. How does she explain it? Or better yet, why should she have to explain it?

She has many secrets, many of which could change Terra for the better or plunge it into a war not even the so-called Farsight Enclave could overcome, not as it was anyway. Kalina has to talk to someone, and her supposed Father and Mother are out of reach for now.

Speaking the ultimate truth and revealing anything to anyone will have significant consequences for the world and her as well... Was it worth saying anything to this woman who stands before her?

Was this conversation foreseen?

"Why should I tell you anything?"

Jeanne shrugged again, "If Kjarr knows of your existence, then so do others... You can't run and hide forever."

"You didn't answer the question; why tell you anything?" Kalina glared suspiciously at Jeanne.

"...Because we are your Father's allies, even if he doesn't know about us yet... Plus, Kjarr wants to know if you were sent here to cause problems."

Kalina stares off into the distance, contemplating her choices here.

"I'm not forcing you to you kn-," Jeanne tried assuring Kalina, but Kalina cut her off with a wave.

"I'm... I'm not from the future, not exactly," Kalina looked down at her shaking hands as she spoke.

"I don't follow," Jeanne tilted her head in confusion.

"*Sigh* Would you believe me if I said I was from another version of Terra? A different reality?"

"I'd say you need mental help, but I serve a Goddess who walks on the mortal plain and nags her Living Saint like a concerned mother... So... What do I know?" Jeanne smiles crookedly towards the strangely depressed Kalina.

"..."

"Miss Kalina?" Jeanne looked at Kalina, who didn't reply. The thief continued to stare at her hands.

"I-I can't reveal too much, I can't explain why, not allowed to, but all I can tell you is Terra is in for a rude awakening, and I don't mean for the Enclave."

"... Explain, Please? You can't say something like that and expect them to be satisfied with the answer!" Jeanne asked firmly, not happy with the loaded answer.

"I-I-I Want to... M-My hated Master... Ah!?" Kalina gripped the sides of her head and cried out in pain before she could finish her sentence.

"Master? What...? Kalina!?" Jeanne rushed to her side and held up the shaking woman as she was close to falling to her knees.