Running Away

Hey!

Another drama-filled chapter, good fun to be had!

Let's get back to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texas stood there, shocked at what she had just heard. She was staring pale-faced at the Vulpo medic that had just told her the news that had shifted her world forever.

Sussurro, for her part, looked awkwardly at the Lupo, she may be a medic, but this was the first time she had to tell someone they were pregnant. Texas was staring at her or through her; Sussurro wasn't sure.

The Vulpo medic was happy for Texas, but the reaction she was getting from the Lupo suggested she was still trying to understand what Sussurro had said or was freaking out, or both.

'What was she supposed to say!?' Sussurro thought desperately; she was not trained for this. 

Texas was known to be one of the calmest and most level-headed operators Rhodes Island had, but it didn't take a genius to see that Texas was on the verge of a mental breakdown. 

Usually, Silence or Saria would be around to handle such delicate matters. Not that pregnancy was a common scenario on Rhodes Island. Even Ansel would have been a welcome sight to aid her, but it's all up to Sussurro.

"Umm, A-hem," Sussurro cleared her throat, trying to catch Texas's attention or show a hint that she was listening to her. Instead, the only sign the medic received was deep breaths and twitching Lupo's ears.

"Ah, Umm, Miss Texas? I understand this is a lot to take in right now, but..." 

"I'm pregnant?" Texas's eyes locked onto Sussurro, cutting her off mid-sentence.

"Y-Yes," Sussurro replied sheepishly, holding the datapad in front of her as if it would protect her.

Texas continued staring through her, making the small Vulpo fidget uncomfortably.

"... I see" Texas nodded as if it had finally sunk in and raised a shaky hand to pull out a pocky, putting one of her chocolate treats in her mouth and staring at the floor, sighing.

"Y-You see?" Sussurro asked in confusion. 

"What happens now?" Texas said calmly, looking back up at Sussurro, ignoring her confused look.

"...Well, in about four weeks, you'll need to have an Ultrasound to determine the due date and determine its gestational age," Sussurro explained.

"..." Texas looked at her with an emotionless mask and said nothing, making the Vulpo nervous.

"Y-You wont be able to hide this for very long, Miss Texas... for you and the child's safety, you will need the Ultrasounds."  Sussurro carried on.

Texas continued to stare at the Vulpo blankly, Texas was calm and relaxed but only on the outside. On the inside, however, she screamed, uncertain if it was screaming in shock, joy or fear. 

She was pregnant.

The uneasy feeling she had explained everything now. She could no longer deny the truth, and that fact changed everything for her, all with those three words.

What was she supposed to do now? Reveal it to everyone back in Logistics? What would they all say? What would Rhodes Island say?

What would Farsight say?

How would she raise a child... in a world as messed up as Terra? Would her unborn child have to fight for survival every day, and would they be roped into crime like she was back then?