Over The Top

Hey.

I am almost finished with training!

R.I.P Franky, my cat... 23 years old.

Sorry for any spelling errors or anything. It's been a hard week.

Let's get back to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Boss, I can't get through to anyone! The line's dead!" The voice of a young Lupo screams as he crouches in a bomb crater, quivering from the unending destruction being rained down around him.

"What? I can't hear you..." An older Lupo with greying hair and a torn business suit shouted over to his subordinate, trying to hear over the constant cracking of explosions and the destruction of buildings. The older man covered his wolf ears as best he could to protect them from the racket, but the blood leaking front either side of his head proved his efforts were useless.

He could see the younger man shouting at him, but his ears, both sets, were constantly ringing. All the older Lupo could do was stare in a daze at the dozens of men and women of his 'legitimate' business, cowered in makeshift trenches and bomb craters.

Other than being attacked. No one knew what was happening!

Palermo was scheduled to move position, but their average day turned into a nightmare-fueled reality. Before Palermo's massive engines could even warm up, fire started raining from the sky, and within a matter of minutes, the entire city shifted and screeched as it buckled.

One side of Palermo buckled somehow and collapsed into the ground hard, shattering every window and causing a few taller buildings to topple over due to the massive shockwave.

The mafia families were so smug they must've never thought someone would have attacked them. Maybe the occasional assassination attempted, but this?

This was an act of war!

Hours after this... Judgment day had begun, and the higher-ups in the mafia demanded everyone dig in and wait for an assault which would soon come. How the higher-ups knew anything would happen at all was a mystery.

And assault by whom? With this type of firepower, the only logical answer would be Laterano, but that was very unlikely. None could answer; most were too busy trying not to get vaporised.

All other shady businesses and groups in Palermo had started to dig in and wait for their unknown enemy to reveal themselves. All every one in Palermo knew was the location of where the assault was coming from.

All of the none combatants had no chance of escaping. When the city collapsed into the ground, it had destroyed all ways to leave safely unless they wanted to jump off the side of Palermo, which was a hundred-foot drop. Some still tried, but all of them fell to their deaths.

The only way for the civilians to get out of the city was towards the sound of the weapons bombarding them, and nobody would go in that direction.

That would be suicide.

Kicked out of his thoughts, he could only stare when a section of his poorly constructed trench blew apart by a direct hit, sending a few of his workers in all directions. He didn't need to hear to know the ones who weren't vaporised instantly had their limbs blown off and were screaming in agony.

This is even more evident by the severed leg, which landed a few feet from him...

"Boss!" The same young Lupo from earlier shouted to him. "Boss! They're coming!"