Refugees

Hey.

Another chapter is overdue; I'm just going to remind anyone curious that it's not because of a lack of interest in the story. 

I will not drop this story, but I might go up to chapter 100 and then call this book one. 

So when I create the second book, I can come back fresh with new ideas, reevaluate all that's happened and tie up loose ends instead of constantly looking back.

I need time to sit down and summarise all that's happened, and a second book will give me that opportunity.

Thoughts?

Let's get back to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And yet another Siracusan city has fallen to the force we've been informed are known as the 'Death Korps.' All efforts are being made to repel these invaders and restore some sense of normality," A random female Durin reporter says, overlooking the ancient Siracusian city of Vite.

A city currently in flames. 

The screams of panic, fear and anguish. The constant blast of artillery discharging drowned out the collapsing buildings and the intense struggle between the two factions. So much so the Durin reporter was almost in the camera's face and eating her microphone so people could hear her over the explosions not so far away.

Across Terra, news about the ongoing conflict between the desperate Siracusa forces and their attackers spreads far and wide. The world knows of this war, and Siracusa uses every opportunity to show everyone how much they need help.

Unfortunately for the defenders of Siracusa, the forces of every nation have made no effort to speak out against the attackers. Their armies have not moved an inch and have only begun preparing their own nation's defences.

Cities, towns, villages and vineyards across Siracusa are witnessing firsthand the scale of the suffering the unwanted guests are thrusting upon them. Even with a call to arms, the population are not trained soldiers, and most have no desire to cower in ruins while their attackers rains explosives down on their heads.

The ruling Mafia families unknowingly signed their death warrant when they put a bounty on the life of the one known as Texas. Even more foolish was trusting the white wolf, also known as Lappland, to go in and kill her. 

All those who wish to fight are abandoning the cities and making for the rocky mountains their homeland is surrounded by. It's evident after the destruction of Palermo that fighting inside cities or any form of civilisation was doomed to fail.

So the Siracusian generals made the right call when they ordered any able-bodied men and women with combat/Arts experience or not to retreat to the mountains. They will play the long game. The Death Korps can bombard the mountains as much as they want, but the defenders will not be pulverised to oblivion inside the old and new tunnel networks.

If the Death Korps want to wipe them out, they must come to them and fight them for every inch, uphill and inside dark passageways. The invaders will have to pay heavily for each step they take.

"Large columns of civilians have been sighted leaving highly populated areas around Siracusa and making their way to the borders. The Kingdom of Leithanien welcomes refugees, but pressure on their border has tripled military response. It is unknown how long Leithanien plans on welcoming the victims of Siracusa."

In the background of the news reporter, the burning city of Vite, thousands of people could be seen fleeing in all directions in panic, most trying to escape down the crowded highway leading towards Laterano.