{78} One Step to Okay

"So, how's school?" I asked and looked behind me to see Cade looking down and Eden looking at the cars passing us. It stopped snowing and the sun was shining with a few clouds in the sky. It was still cold but the sun was making us a little warm.

"At first it was bad because people were mocking us and shit, but then I told people to back off and they did," Cade said and started swinging his and Eden's hand back and forth. I saw Eden smile and he tried covering it by putting a hand over his moth and start coughing.

"Are you okay, Ed?" Cade asked and stopped swinging their joined hands. There was concern in his voice and I stopped watching them. Eden nodded and then blushed.

I smirked while Cade laughed. "Ed? That's your new nickname now?" I teased him. Eden glared at me trying to seem the rough-guy but he failed miserably. It was nice to see Eden shy and quiet. At home he would talk about Cade and the things they did together. And no, not like that.

He said that Cade was taking it slow with him, and that Cade was dying just to be with him, and that Cade was the best boyfriend on the planet, and that Cade was so thoughtful and kind. And all the awesome shit about Cade which I was amazed because Eden really like Cade.

We let some people pass us because we didn't want to go to school early and it was a nice day. Who would want to stay inside a school with not enough windows in that beautiful day? I sure as hell was not. When we got to their school, Eden stopped and looked at me.

"What happened with you and Crevan?" He asked and the feeling of sadness almost took me when Cade changed the subject. "Eden, we have to go to school before we're late."

Cade glanced at me and I glanced at him. Crevan told him what happened. I still felt like a douche but what I told Crevan might help me. Eden nodded and then Eden hugged me. He wasn't as tall as me so he was hugging my torso.

He pressed his face to my stomach and held me for a few minutes when he let go he smiled at me. I watched them walk into their school and the other kids followed them. Some looked at me or whispered at each other. When all the kids went inside I heard the bell rang and I smiled to myself. 

~~~

I walked into my school and I was shocked to see people smiling, waving, or nodding at me. Months ago they thought I was the new kid and some of them caused me to scream because they thought I was their shiny new gift. But at that moment, they were smiling or waving at me like we were the best buddies. I awkwardly smiled or waved back whenever they did. I finally got to my locker and I heard a familiar laughter. I looked to my right and saw Crevan laughing with his friends.

I guessed he felt someone was watching him because he turned his head to where I was standing and locked eyes with me. He was the first one to break away and looked down on the floor. I was about to walk up to him to tell him how I was, because I still felt like a douche, but then the thing he did made my heart a little bigger. He looked up, smiled, and waved at me.

I gave him a smile and waved back. I went back to my locker and as I was taking stuff out, my locker closed with a loud crash. I jumped and moved back to see Alexandria glaring at me with her hands on her hips.

"What the hell did you do to my boyfriend, fairy?" She spat and tapped her high heels on the floor. I sighed put my stuff in my bag. I didn't have time for her. I was never going to have time for her. I couldn't believe that someday I thought that we could somehow manage to be friends and sort of let this whole thing pass us. She was never going to let this go.

"Look, Alexandria, I'm sorry that I "took" your boyfriend. He can make his own decisions and his decision was to be with me," I said calmly. I wanted her to understand that I didn't ask Rhett to like me. I didn't mind if Rhett like me or that he chose me. Oh, what the hell am I talking about? I'm happy as hell that he chose me!

"He doesn't like you, Zayden. He'll hump you and dump up," Alexandria said and kept glaring at me. "Like what he did to you?" I spat, putting as much of hate in my words. I had enough of her. I didn't care if she was a girl. If she said one more thing about Rhett or gays or me, I was going to go ballistic on her. She opened her mouth to say something when someone said something.

"Leave him alone, Alexandria. If Rhett chose Zayden, then he can. He's not your bitch and no one will ever be" I looked past Alexandria to see Crevan and his friends behind him. She turned around and smiled seductively.

"Hey, big boy, want to hang out at my place?" She asked as she took another step towards him and was about to touch him when he grabbed her hands and stared disgustingly at her.

"Never, not even in million years. It was only one time and I want you to forget that happened to us. There will never be an us." He pulled his hands away from her and I wanted to give him a high five. Alexandria turned around and went insane.

"How do you hang out with a faggot? He's a boyfriend-stealer and he likes it up his ass! He's just a fucking fairy who has no life! I hate you, and I wish I never talked to you! You will end up like Rhett and that's a promise."

Then she pushed me, walking away. I watched her until she turned the corner. I sighed and turned around to see Crevan looking at me. People came over to me and asked me if I was okay. I told them I was okay and they went back to whatever they were doing.

"I didn't know she was a psycho," one of Crevan's friend said.

"How hard did you bang her to make her crazy like that, Crevan?" The other one said. Crevan shot them a glare and I chuckled. They were the same guys who sat on my lunch table.

The boy with brown hair and dark green eyes smiled and put his hand out. "Sorry we haven't talked in months, Zayden."

I smiled and shook his hand. "Don't worry. I've been busy so it's fine. Sorry about the smartass remarks when we first met," I said and he smiled widen.

"I think I've never told you my name. It's really uncommon but it's Gavin."

"Like the band?"

He scrunched his eyebrows. "What band?"

I took out a piece of paper from my bag and took out a pen from my pocket. I wrote a few songs for the band and gave it to him.

"Check them out. They're really good," I said and watched him read over the songs. He nodded and put it in his pocket. I looked at the other boy and he had blond hair mix with brown and brown eyes.

"I'm Orion, if you're wondering," he said and smiled. I smiled back and I glanced at Crevan who was staring at me. I felt heat on my cheeks and I looked away from them.

"C'mon dude. I know he's cute but you're freaking him out."

I looked up and Gavin and Orion were smirking. I saw Crevan blush got pink and I laughed. The bell rang and we looked at the people running to their class.

"I guess we'll see you at lunch?" Gavin said and I nodded. We said our goodbyes, and then I was heading to my class when I looked behind me to see Crevan looking at me and I waved at him before turning the corner and going to my class. I saw everyone getting their stuff out and I frowned. I walked where I always sit and sat down.

People smiled at me or asked me if I had a pen or pencil. That made me a little awkward but happy because people could finally see that I exist.

"Hello, class. Let's get started," the teacher said and looked around. When the teacher looked at me, they eyes went wide.

"I see we have a new student here."

I groaned and I was going to put my head down when someone shout out something. "He isn't new! He's just quiet and nice!"

I looked around to find Gavin in my classroom. Was he in my class? How? Wasn't he one level higher than me? He looked at me and flashed me a smile with two thumbs up.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I should pay attention to you more mister...Creek," the teacher said and gave me a smile. I smiled and nodded. When the teacher turned around, a paper ball hit my head, and I was going to scream at whoever threw it when I saw Gavin's face with a playful smirk. I rose an eyebrow, and threw the paper ball back at him. This was going to be my favorite class.