Chapter 176

I looked at Techno, a bit confused for a second, and then I realised what he meant. Techno had gotten the voices at a very young age, around five or six. The voices demanded violence at first, but after a year or two they calmed down a bit and have been manageable ever since. This is the first time I'm seeing Techno struggle with the voices after they calmed down. "What are they saying?" I said as I gently placed a hand on his shoulder.

    "T-They want v-violence." He said shakily as tears filled his eyes. "They're s-so l-loud I-" He said, trembling. My eyes widened a bit and I gently applied more pressure on my hand that was on his shoulder.

    "You don't mind if I touch you right? Or are you uncomfortable with that right now?" I ask gently and Techno shook his head. "I d-don't mind." He said and I nodded as I pulled him into a tight hug. "Is muting not working on them?" I asked as I stroked his head. He shook his head and I felt a tear drip onto my shoulder.

    "They w-want blood, D-Dad." He said, pulling back a bit and I could see his tear-stained face. "I d-don't know w-what to do, I-I'm scared I'll h-hurt someone-" He said as he sobbed, pulling at his hair. My heart broke as I looked at my son in this state. "Maybe try distracting yourself?" I said in the same gentle tone I used before and Techno shook his head. He motioned at his desk and I glanced at it.

    It was littered with ripped and crumbled-up papers, a dagger, a bow and arrow, and his violin was on his chair. "I t-tried drawing, w-writing and p-playing the v-violin but it d-didn't work." He said as another large tear fell down his face. I looked at the dagger and back at Techno. Techno saw my expression and shook his head.

    "I didn't d-do anything s-stupid, Dad. Don't w-worry." He said as he shakily rolled up his sleeves and showed me his arms. I nodded. "What happened to the violin? Your and Wilbur's music usually calmed them down when you were kids." I said, pulling him closer and hugging him. Techno shook his head again and tried to speak.

    "The v-voices almost made m-me break a s-string on my v-violin." He said, and I gently stroked the back of his head. "Oh, Techno..." I said and then it clicked. "You couldn't properly play the violin because you were distracted by the voices, right?" I said and he nodded slowly. "I- I think so, y-yeah." He said and I nodded. I gently pushed him off me and towards the wall.

    "Stay here, I'll be right back." I said as I quickly got up and rushed out the door after looking at Techno one last time. I ran to Wilbur's room and threw open the door. Wilbur was pacing his room nervously and looked at me.

    "Something's wrong with Techno, right?" He said anxiously and I nodded. Since he was Techno's twin he probably felt it when something happened to Techno. "Grab your guitar." I said, trying to catch my breath. He looked at me with a weird look and I mentally facepalmed.

    "The voices." I said exasperatedly, looking at him pointedly. I watched as realisation dawned on his face and he ran to his desk and snatched his guitar and ran to his door. He looked at me and jerked his head towards Techno's room.

"Come on!"