LXX , Truth Comes Out - Part II

You'd been running until you reached a town. How you managed that you weren't quite sure. Now you were extremely out of breath and in need of a seat though. So you'd found a secluded area with the last of your energy left and plopped down beneath a tree.

"Fuck." You managed out. You ran again. Because of course you did. You were beginning to wonder if that's all you knew how to do. Maybe it was just instinct, that fight or flight response kicking into high gear.

Did it matter? Maybe.

Despite being away like this, it still felt like too much. It felt too horrible to be true at all. Why had they all seemed so different now? Did you l never know them as well as you thought you did? Had they always been putting on a facade?

Those thoughts made you want to cave in on yourself.

A part of you wished you could go back in time and stop yourself from hitting start stream. This had all been too much. You hadn't had a moment to think-to properly think.

What was it you wanted at all?

Did you want to feel that overwhelming happiness? That troubling attraction? Did you want your heart to pound in yours ears? That fluttery feeling of seeing their texts?

Maybe.

"Miss?"

Your gaze snapped up, met face to face with a stranger. They smiled back at you nervously and held out a water bottle. "You look a little out of it. Are you okay?"

You hadn't thought about it, but to a stranger, you probably looked deranged at the moment. Hilarious, all things considered.

Deranged.

That's how they were acting.

No, maybe it wasn't that bad. You were being harsh.

Maybe.

"Ah, yeah, I'm okay." You mumbled, slowly taking the bottle. It felt frozen in your sweaty palms. "Thanks."

"No problem." They laughed airily. "Your Heartra, right?"

"Huh? Yeah."

"I thought so. I'd heard talk you and your friends were staying near here." They lit up like Christmas. "How are things?"

"Things are..." You didn't know what to say. The person's expression dimmed and they furrowed their brows.

The water bottle crumpled under your tightened hold. With a deep, shaky breath, you shot up in an instance.

"Miss?" The person's eyes widened as they watched you leave. "Are you okay?!" They called. And for a moment, you hesitated again.

Then you looked over your shoulder. "Thank you." You smiled and lifted the bottle. "For the drink."