XXXVII , Airport

"Ughh..."

A loud groan left your lips as you hit the airport seats. Dal was by your side, chuckling to himself ever so slightly. "Too early?" He asked.

"Yeah." You agreed.

"Why don't I get us some breakfast, then?" He inquired, taking a glance at the time. "We still have an hour."

You smiled warmly at him and nodded. So like that, Dal was off on his own mission.

It was still hard to believe in just a few hours you'd land in a new country and be able to meet your friends... Covestry had even arranged for all of you to share an Air BnB.

» » »

"I'm still tired..." You grumbled as Dal and you stalked through the airport. Dal smiled down at you, gaze lingering on the way you were holding onto the sleeve of his shirt. It'd been quite the flight. Long and restless due to sobbing babies and turbulence.

He felt bad, but honestly... You looked downright adorable when you were sleepy like this.

Dal let you sit down on a bench while he fetched your luggage. Things were going well. Or as well as they could at an airport, considering traveling was always a hassle even when things went perfectly.

"Warni should be here to pick us up soon." Dal hummed. "Shall we wait outside?"

"Sure." You yawned.

The morning air was brisk and felt almost wet on your skin. At that moment you knew the jet lag would be absolutely unbearable, and were glad you booked a few days to recover.

You sucked in a big deep breath and closed your eyes for a few moments. Just existing. Holding onto Dal's clothes and swaying ever so slightly back and fourth, a rocking chair in motion.

"Hey," a harsh voice called.

A hand was on your shoulder, and a noise of surprise and fear was leaving your lips. You whipped around and came face to face with a hulking man. Burly and grumpy. Pure panic rushed through your system as he gripped your shoulder like a viper to its prey.

"You're that Heartra bitch, right?" He hissed out, pure contempt written all over his features. The man looked just enough like Joshua. Like his friends and family. Spoke like him too, you realized through the spine chill.

"I-I—"

Not a second more had passed, no more time was left to formulate your thoughts or evaluate the situation. As soon as even the slightest of stutters passed your lips, suddenly the man was being punched with enough force to send him to the ground. The assaulter went with him, but that wasn't your focus.

Again, hands on you. This caused a yelp to leave your lips. "It's okay," Dal's familiar voice resonated. You looked up at him.

But...

If he hadn't hit that strange man, who had?