LXVIII , Beautiful

You took a deep breath after entering the house, plopping down on the couch and just taking a second. Things felt a bit better now that you were away from such a busy, public place.

"Wanna order in?" Ace suggested as he locked the door behind the group.

"I can pay." Jianyu offered as she sat down next to you, hesitantly reaching out a hand and placing it over yours. The action alerted you properly to her presence, but you didn't deny her the simple affection in that moment. "What do you want to do?" She asked in a soft voice.

You shrugged. "Well we all need to eat at least." Damshi ran a hand through her hair. "We can think over it as we get changed into something more comfortable."

Being changed into something else helped too. It felt like everyone knew just what to do to comfort you. Thinking about it like that warmed your heart, but it also brought back the knowledge that they had feelings for you. Feelings you weren't sure if you could handle.

With a heavy sigh, you rested your arms against the railing of the porch. There was a far expanse of forest out ahead, with the sun setting out of the corner of your eye. A gentle breeze rustled by, and you could hear the chirps of critters. It was lovely. A good moment to be experiencing.

"How are you feeling?" Dal's voice came from behind, but you didn't look in his direction.

"Embarrassed." You muttered.

"No reason to be." He shook his head, perching his arm on the railing and halfway leaning on it. Instead of the beautiful forest though, his gaze rested solely on you.

"Maybe not," you could agree there, "but I still feel that way..."

"Mm." Dal nodded in understanding. "What else is on your mind?"

You brought your gaze to him, and Dal smiled softly. There was something so charming about his smile, about his everything. His features reminded you of marble carved to look as soft as cotton. "A lot."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"I don't know if I can put words to it."

"Say what you're feeling." Dal broke his gaze away from you, but you couldn't look away from him. "I'll piece together the rest."

"You're good with words."

He shrugged. "We've all have to have a strong suit."

Maybe.

You followed his gaze out. "Feels like the calm before the storm."

"This whole week has."

"Feels like this whole year has."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Been a busy year for you."

"Here's to that." You slumped. "Hasn't all been bad but..."

"It's complicated?"

"It's always complicated."

"What is?"

"Everything. Life... Love..."

"Love, huh?" You chuckled at his words.

"Love, yeah."

Dal felt his chest tighten, and his mouth felt dry. Love. "I noticed it about you, early on." Dal began, feeling as though there was something deeper to be said that couldn't be left to collect dust. "You're scared."

"... Aren't we all?"

"I'm ready." He shrugged. "For love. That sort of commitment. But you..." Dal looked over at you right as you had looked at him. "You're still figuring things out."

"I haven't felt so happy in awhile." You mumbled. "You all... Make me feel so happy."

"Too happy?"

You hesitated.

"Too happy?" The voice came from behind.

The both of you looked to see Jianyu standing there, teary eyed in the doorway. "How does someone make you too happy?" She asked, breathy and uncertain.