XLVII , The Beginning of All Things

A long time ago and not so long ago at all, Damshi had just turned 14 on the first day of high school. Having survived the turmoils of private school elementary and middle, her main goal was to conquer high school as well.

A main goal she herself didn't ask to be assigned.

Hilarious, that's how they saw their life. A joke, a circus, and she was a simple act.

The simple act met the ringmaster on that day. Assigned the same home room and seats right next to each other, Damshi set eyes on Ace for the first time. He was off in his own world that day. She could see it in his eyes. Glazed over and dull.

She'd taken a seat without a word, and he didn't so much as glance in her direction.

Ah, the perils of blossoming friendship.

» » »

A long time ago and not so long ago, Amon had begun to look for greater purpose in life. 19 and having survived an illness everybody was convinced would devour him whole... Amon had no plans for life. He expected to be dead right now.

It felt stupid, looking back. He should've known he'd survive. Chances were one in a million to be cured, but so was his birth. So was surviving as many years as he did. It was a matter of time, and he should've made plans.

Bigger plans than "let's go to Disney World!", and "What about skydiving?! Let's try that!". Whimsical and carefree he'd been. Optimism came with such illness, to be optimistic meant to not be sucked into the darkness that threatened to swallow you whole.

Games had always been part of those long nights at the hospital. He'd indulged in a lot of them. When streaming began to go mainstream, he was right there with it. Laughing at creators that were shit at video games, and awestruck by players out of his league.

Amon was front and center the launch day of a new co-op battle royal. He went live while sitting in a lobby, waiting for it to launch. Other excited gamers joined up, and he made great conversation. Their first stream now had first time viewers.

Upon launch, he began getting paired with randoms. Amon didn't care much, he bantered with whoever had their mic on and destroyed competition. Then came two usernames that he kept getting matched with.

"Are you fucking stalking me?!" He hissed.

"I should be asking you that!" A second voice exclaimed.

"It is quite the coincidence we keep getting paired with you." A calm, third, chimed in.

"We?" He'd asked.

"Claristo and I are teamed already. We just need the extra players... Say, would you like to be our third, Warni?"

He paused, then laughed. "Fuckers. I'll join, but I'm always player one, got that, Covestry?"

She matched his laughter. "Loud and clear."

» » »

A long time ago and not so long ago, Dal flicked the lighter a few times, and finally a blaze erupted as his finger burned from the sensation. He watched it flicker in the absolute darkness for a few moments before finally lighting the candle.

There it was. That damning candle that sentenced him to another birthday alone. He was 18 now, and there was nobody around who'd give a shit. Dal supposed this is what he asked for. Absolute isolation.

When he was alone, only he could hurt himself. Tearing his own soul apart piece by piece hurt so much less than letting others do so.

Until friendship was thrust upon him one day.

"Uh, sir!"

He'd turned around without a second thought —he hadn't gotten used to living in a city yet. "Yeah?" Dal responded absentmindedly, pulling out an earbud.

There before him stood a short girl with blonde pigtails and the most innocent look on her face. "I... Need a favor."

"Huh?" Dal was stunned.

"Can you pleaaseee come take some pictures with me?!" The girl clasped her hands together. Dal's eyes widened. "My date fucking ditched me, but I still need some photos! A-And you're really handsome, for a dude anyways, so I'm sure my fans won't question it!"

That was the story of how Dal met little 15 year old Jianyu. The story of how his own conscious couldn't let this teenager run around the city and fall into someone's trap.

He didn't realize then that Jianyu was far more clever than she let on. Nor did he realize he'd run into so many popular gaming icons there. Gaming icons that included Claristo, Covestry, and Warni...

Nobody quite realized back then, all those years ago, that their meeting was the beginning of all things.