Mind Over Matter

Vale's P.O.V.

"Mom... Pst... You awake?"

"You don't think she'll punch us in her sleep... Do you?"

"Hey. Mom. Wake up."

"What?"

I gasp in panic while stirring awake at the sound of my name being called. Blinking my eyes, I see the silhouette of Genevieve, Evander, and Jinn staring at me. Their eyes are watching me intently through the darkness; if this happened ten years ago, they'd all be dead by now.

Obi-Wan's sleeping beside me on our bed with his arm draped over me. He's lightly snoring softly, without a care in the world that our kids are up past their bedtime. Rubbing my eyes tiredly, I mumble quietly, not to wake up their father.

"What happened? What did you do?"

"Nothing!" Genevieve answers first, making me groan in worry. I send her a look, knowing if she answered first, they must have done wrong. Glancing around, checking for Angel, I ask nervously. "Please, don't tell me you painted Angel red again in the house."

"We didn't, I promise."

My son, Jinn, answers assuringly and I relax back into bed. Jinn has always been the honest one out of the three. He's a year younger than Genevieve, while she and Evander are four years apart.

Jinn's five years old now and just like his father; he's honest, careful and a sweetheart all around. We named him after Qui-Gon Jinn; he loves all the stories we tell him about our former Master. I can tell from time to time he tries to act how we described Qui-Gon, but comes out acting like Obi-Wan.

Genevieve is six years old and is annoyingly just like me; we've named her after my half sister though I don't think she really cares. She's headstrong, clumsy and loves going on adventures without telling anyone. Whenever we tell her old mission stories, she gets excited and starts reenacting them in the living room.

Our oldest son, Evander, is now ten and a brilliant mix between Obi-Wan and me. He follows the rules, takes charge when needed and strives to be the best. However, he has no problem breaking rules when he feels it's for a good cause, which reminds me of Anakin.

All three of them are different in their own ways, but I can see Obi-Wan and me in them. We've been slowly training them to use the force, though haven't let them touch a light saber. I get nervous when I even see them looking at ours; I'm waiting for the day one of them accidentally cuts off their sibling's hand.

"We couldn't sleep."

Evander admits in the night's silence while glancing at his feet. Frowning at his worried expression, my eyes dart at the other two and see the same nervous expressions. It only takes me a second to realize why they all have these uneasy looks on their faces.

"You'll love the Jedi Temple." I murmur in a gently tone before scooting closer to Obi-Wan. Making room on our king-size bed, I pat the cushion while telling them. "Come here."

All three then climb up the bed and get under the covers. Jinn snuggles up to me like the mama boy he is before fiddling with my pearl necklace. Genevieve and Evander shove each other lightly to be the second closest to me.

Genevieve wins and snuggles up to Jinn while Evander plops his head on a pillow behind him in defeat. This time next week, our family will relocate to the Jedi Temple. We were supposed to go two years after Genevieve was born, but then Jinn happened.

I've never taken them to Coruscant before, though they know all about it from me and Obi-Wan. They're all at the age now where they can begin their training; Evander has been ready for a few years, but we wanted all of them to go together. That doesn't mean we haven't prepared them for what comes with being in the Jedi Order.