Changes Of The Season

Vale's P.O.V.

"You know... You're not a complete mess up."

"After two years..." I snort while reclining in my chair, smirking. "You still can't lie to me."

"Okay... Well, what I meant is the Jedi Order doesn't think you're a complete mess." 

Obi-Wan explains in more detail while tinkering with an engine part. We're in the common room, waiting to hear from Qui-Gon. The Queen and handmaidens are resting at the moment and the Captain is on watch in the cockpit.

I'm stretched out on a couch tossing a metal ball Obi-Wan will eventually need to the part he's working on. He's across from me with a part of the ship on the table, working on tightening the notches. We should get some rest, but we're hoping to get a call from Qui-Gon about the race the boy was in.

"Mace Windu thinks every highly of you." Obi-Wan mentions while focusing on the parts on the table. "Maybe even more so than Qui-Gon, I dare say."

"Really?" I mumble and stop myself from tossing the metal ball in the air above me. "Master Windu? The past two years, I have felt like I wasn't living up to expectations."

"He's just always acts that way." Obi-Wan assures me while glancing my way. "I heard him talking to Qui-Gon when he arrived back to Coruscant months ago... He said you will soon should be ranked a Jedi Knight."

"A Jedi Knight. Shut up." I blurt out and sit up straight to face Obi-Wan. "Are we sure we're talking about the same Jedi Master?"

"Yes, Vale. Mace Windu. Who else would I be talking about?" Obi-Wan chuckles while relaxing in his seat. "He said training you in Naboo without the distraction of mission and certain people has helped you so greatly that you should soon become a Knight..." Smiling in sorrow, his eyes go back to the parts as he mumbles. "He's very proud of the improvement you've made."

Resting the ball of metal beside me on the couch, I think about what he's said. I slowly come to realize what Obi-Wan meant by distraction. Missions and Obi-Wan himself over the years have become a complication that slowed my progress.

I never thought about it that way, but thinking about it now, I see how it can be true. Obi-Wan made it easier for me in my training and missions only to interrupt my learning. Thinking about how Windu has taught me, I realize what he was trying to do.

"Qui-Gon still thinks you're a valuable asset to the Jedi Order... As he always has." Obi-Wan speaks up, not thinking too much about it. "Though... I can see grown respect from Master Windu towards you." Standing up and grabbing the metal ball he needs, he continues. "He was utter distraught when the blockade happened on Naboo and you were still there."

"Huh..." I stand up, smiling to myself. "Who would've thought Master Windu had a soft spot for me?"

"I did." Obi-Wan murmurs while sending me a look before sitting back in his seat. "Everyone has a soft spot for you, V. It's a gift of yours... An annoying little gift."

"Well, then you should feel very lucky then." I smirk while coming to Obi-Wan's side. Pecking his forehead with my lips, I meet his eyes and whisper. "... Because I only have a soft spot for you."

~The Next day~

"Look, over there!" I announce while pointing out the window in the cockpit. "Qui-Gon's in trouble."

Obi-Wan and I just got finished setting up the next hyper-drive generator. The kid had won the race, and we could get the generator we need. Qui-Gon delivered it hours ago before saying he had to go back to the village. Padme, Jar Jar and R2-D2 didn't leave with him this time.