My Hand Are Dirty

Obi-Wan's P.O.V.

"Lieutenant Merc? Is it?"

"Yes, sir." The Lieutenant speaks up while coming to stand in front of me. "How can I be of service?"

I'm in the clone base on Coruscant; most clones here are waiting for a new assignment by their general. This base is usually used to give soldiers rest, restock, or heal before they get back into the field. I came up to what I believe to be Vale's squadron.

They're easy to pick out in a room of clone soldiers since they don't wear the battle uniform like most. They wear more civilian type clothing with protection and weapons hidden under the attire. However, one of the group I recognize from seeing him talk to Vale during our last mission.

"I heard Vale is here." I confess, while glancing around us curiously. "Would know where?"

"She's tinkering with a dead ship." A clone behind him calls out to us casually. "I wouldn't try chatting with her."

"Gitt." Merc warns him and I suspect Vale's squadron has gotten used to being less formal because of her. The clone, Gitt, shrugs his shoulders while sending Merc a knowing look and adding. "Okay, but your funeral."

"How so?" I frown with an amused smile while putting my hands on my hips. Another clone then smirks from where he's seated and answers in a confident tone. "There's only one reason Palpatine's tinkering with a dead ship."

Tilting my head, I wait for him to give me more details. All of Vale's squadron are lounging around outside their temporary sleeping quarters. I watch them all send one another looks before facing me and saying together at once.

"She's in a mood."

"I'm sure she'll talk to you."

Merc then offers politely before sending his team a threatening look. A few chuckle and shrug their shoulders as if they wouldn't dare try to. I see one or two even size me up and for a moment I think Vale has become a bad influence on her own unit.

"Alright. You want to see the boss?" A man stands up from where he's seat announces in amusement. "I'll personally take you to her. Don't say we didn't warn you, though."

"Thank you..."

I sigh before frowning as I try to think of what to call him. Smirking at me, he stands up straighter and salutes me almost sarcastically. He then nods to me while walking past me and introducing himself.

"I go by Cruli."

"Thank you, Cruli."

I say before following beside him through the base. He only smiles at me, overly politely, as he continues to guide me. Glancing behind my shoulder, I notice Vale's entire team watching us with a giddy grin.

Which makes me doubt how well I know Vale; maybe it was a mistake to come here. Vale's been at the Temple for almost two weeks now. Everything seemed to go smoothly until the last few days. This morning I notice she barely said anything in the Council meeting. She seemed distance and quieter than usual in the last few days.

That's why I've been looking for her for half of today, to see if something's wrong. Vale and I don't talk as much as we used to, but we aren't strangers to one another. I want to be the one she comes to talk about things, but she makes it very difficult, like she makes everything.

"A little advice, General Kenobi." Cruli blurts out in the silence as we get closer to the sector of damaged ships. "Try not to be in front of the boss when she has something in her hand." Glancing at me, he smiles, amused, before mumbling. "She has a tendency to throw it at you and say it slipped."