A New Era

Obi-Wan's P.O.V.

Nodding to everyone in the room, I take my seat and glance at the threshold. Jedi Masters of the Council are slowly taking their proper seats in the Jedi High Council Chamber. My eyes dart around the room as we wait for everyone to be here this morning for the meeting.

My eyes keep darting to the doors and the empty seat beside me. It is the unspoken seat everyone knows will be empty. No one expects someone to sit there, but I sit here today hoping that will change.

Yesterday afternoon, I went to Vale knowing full well she was going to leave the same day she got here. After how she treated me and Anakin last mission, I perceived she'd do anything to get as far as away from me as possible. So I said everything and anything to change her mind.

There are so many reasons for Vale to stay and I expressed them all to her yesterday. Yet, I'm quietly hoping only one makes her change her mind. I haven't seen her since I left her room, but I also haven't seen her ship take off.

Scanning around the room, I realize everyone is here and sitting in their seats. I glance to Vale's seat empty and it feels the emptiness is mocking me. Peer to the time, I see it's time to begin the meeting and I feel my heart sink in my chest.

Biting the inside of my cheek, I turn to Mace Windu, knowing he'll begin the meeting this morning. I try to ignore the rejection of Vale not being here, even after all I spoke to her the day before. I watch Master Windu lean back in his chair and open his mouth to speak when I hear doors open.

Snapping my head to the doorway, I see Vale walk in, somewhat out of breath. She glances around awkwardly while catching her breath. Gawking at her, the corner of my lips curl upward slightly.

A full smile wants to break from my face. I can only assume she planned to leave for her mission this morning, but at the last second, decided to stay. Which is why she's out of breath and a little late. Her eyes dart to everyone in the room, but when her eyes meet mine, they linger for a second longer.

"Sorry, I'm late." Vale blurts out, breaking the silence stiffly. "I forgot which hall to turn left- I'm just sorry."

My eyes find everyone in the room watching, slightly stunned, alarmed, and a little amused. When my eyes go back to Vale, I see her eyeing the empty chair beside me. Our eyes meet and I see her silently asking me if that's her seat.

Making a short and quick nod not to embarrass her, I see her sigh in relief before walking toward the chair. My eyes follow her as I take in her appearance. She sticks out like a sore thumb around all of us in the room.

Her dirty blond hair is in two short braids, her neck has a pearl necklace and a few rings are on her fingers. She's wearing matching black tight pants, knee-high boots and a belt. Her dark green long sleeve shirt is just short enough to see a slip of her belly.

When Vale sides down beside me in her chair, she moves her butt on the seat to get more comfortable. Leaning back, her eyes find mine watching her amusingly. Rolling her eyes at me, she crosses her arms and leans back.

"Decided not to go on your mission, did you?"

Yoda speaks up to Vale in a curious tone. Vale's eyes go wide, realizing he's talking to her. Everyone is staring at her as if they don't believe she's actually sitting with us. Tilting her head and shrugging her shoulders, Vale explains casually, as if it's no big deal.

"Yes, well... I'm sure my mission to Datooine has been compromised by now."

Vale then moves in her seat again, trying to get comfortable in it. Everyone in the room is glancing at one another as Vale keeps fidgeting her in chair. I see Master Windu glance at Yoda curiously before asking her.