Following Our Hearts

Anakin's P.O.V.

"Oh, really? I had no idea, sweetheart- Shush! It's on, Kenobi!... Anakin? Anakin, this is Obi-Wan Kenobi and Valera Palpatine. Do you copy?"

"Do they normally talk to one another like that?" Padme mumbles under her breath while watching the hologram of Vale and Obi-Wan in our ship. Frowning and glancing at her, I nod and admit. "Worse, to be honest. That was them being nice..."

I stand in front of the recorded message V and my master sent to us. Padme is sitting in the co-pilot's seat watching from beside me. We're on Tatooine and I know I'll hear about it later when I see my Master again.

"Anakin, our long range transmitter has been knocked out." We listen to Obi-Wan explain in the small hologram of him and Vale. "Retransmit this message to Coruscant."

Padme turns and retransmit it to the council for me as I lean back on the desk. I can see in Obi-Wan's eyes he's nervous about something. Vale's eyes keep darting around them as if she's looking for something.

"We've tracked the Bounty Hunter, Jango Fett, to the droid foundries on Geonosis." Obi-Wan announces in the message before Vale takes over. "The Trade Federation is to take delivery of a droid army here, and it is clear that Viceroy Gunray is behind the assassination attempts on Senator Amidala."

Padme and I share a look like the reveal isn't so hard to believe. I can see on the desktop the council is watching the message with us at this very moment. Folding my arms, I watch as Obi-Wan speaks up.

"The Commerce Guilds and the corporate alliance have both pledged their armies to Count Dooku and are forming a-"

"We got company, Kenobi! On your right!"

Vale interrupts him while pulling out her light saber. Obi-Wan's saber comes to his hand and they fight off blasts firing their way. We watch as Obi-Wan falls back and Vale backs away from the message.

The hologram now shows a Droidake rolls up into the picture. It's shooting in the direction Vale disappeared into before the message ends. I glance at Padme and see her eyes wide with fear for her best friend.

Our time together has been a ride like no other; there's been up and lows, joy and pain. Between it all, I've seen a love and respect for Vale in Padme words about her. Over the years, I saw the same thing with Vale towards Padme.

I sense of guilt grows in me, from all I've done with Padme only for me to see Vale and my Master struggling while I've been pining over Padme for days. Vale and Obi-Wan are the most skilled pair I've ever seen. I assumed this would be a breeze for them. Though, I fear they've gotten them into something bigger than planned.

"Anakin, we will deal with Count Dooku." A hologram then appears of Master Windu. "The most important thing for you is to stay where you are. Protect the Senator at all costs. That is your first priority."

"Understood, Master."

I mumble, not liking his demand but agree with it. I should be with them like I always have, though I'm requested to do nothing. Walking to the other side of the ship, I think of what's become of Vale and Obi-Wan.

"They'll never get there in time to save them." Padme speaks up in a worry tone. "They have to come halfway across the galaxy." I watch her turn and pull up the distance from us to Geonosis. "Look. Geonosis is less than a parsec away."

"If they're still alive."

"Ani, are you just going to sit here and let them die?" Padme argues in shock at what I said. "Obi-Wan and V are your friends, your mentors. They're-"