Part 74

TOLD IN ZINNIA'S PERSPECTIVE 

I sit right where Richard's dead body is. I spent enough time screaming. Crying. I broke my shotgun. And I know for a fact when I heard that scream- I broke Sae. 

I raise up my head and stare at Richard. 

Dead. 

I throw my head back down onto the ground and sob. 

''I'm... I'm... I'm so sorry....'' 

I glance around me with tears streaming down my cheeks. All I see is black. 

Because Richard was the source of the barrier. He died. It's breaking. 

He was wrong. I can hear faint talking. Eden and Sae talking. He thought that if he died then this would all be over with. It's not. All that's happening right now is this- the actual barrier is breaking. Nothing else. 

And even if something else would happen-

I wouldn't be able to see it. 

Because I would be dead. 

And that's what's happening. 

I weakly clench my hand into a fist as Richard's dead body disappears. 

I reach over to my shotgun and clench it in my hands. Just like the way I clenched it when I was 14. 

The platform breaks. 

The platform I'm sitting on. 

I fall back. Slowly. So slow, I can feel myself breathe. So quiet, I can hear a soft brush through the air. 

*I, am not the only traveler.  Who has not repaid his debts.* 

My skin cuts against the shards of the barrier. My hair brushes through my eyes. 

I stare up at the sky as my breathing slows. I'm okay. 

I slowly glanced over to my right. 

Eden limps around Sae in a circle. They stopped talking. All they're doing is trying to figure out who's going to hit first. 

*I've been searching. For a trail to follow, again.*

I spread a tear-full smile across my face and nodded as my eyes blur from tears strolling down my cheeks. 

*Take me back. To. The night we met.*

My head hits against a falling tree. My chest weakens from stones hitting against my heart. 

My heart. 

It hurts. This all hurts. I can't do this anymore. 

*And then I tell myself. What the hell I'm supposed to do.* 

I wish I can tell Eden that I love her. I never wanted to get involved in anything like this. 

*And then I can tell myself. Not to ride along with you.* 

But, if I was getting through all of this with her. Dying like this. I would be truly smiling. 

*I had all and then most of you, some and now, None of you. Take me back, to the night we met.* 

When she walked inside that store. When she chose to talk to me. Me. 

Why, me? 

* I don't know what I'm supposed to do, haunted by the ghost of you. Oh, take me back to the night we met.*

I drop my shotgun out of my hands. 

When she fought- She took care of only me when I was hurt. When she was hurt, scared. Why. Why didn't I give that to her in return? Why, why did I yell at her?