Part Four- Who let you go?

-

''Do you...Eat?''

Sae asks quietly, her hands placed softly on the lunch table as her gaze doesn't catch mine when she stares at a girl eating lunch.

I shrug and dig into my dirty sweater pockets, pulling out four dollars and tapping Sae's shoulder quickly as she glances over at my hand.

''That's very little money.. You do not have enough to eat, Edith.''

Sae slowly touches her hand on top of mine and closes my open hand into a fist.

''Keep the money. We can steal,''

Sae stands up from the lunch table and takes a look at me as I shake my head.

''No!- I- I- Mean- You can't"-

Sae grips onto my hand grabs the collar of my shirt, pulling my head closer to her as she angrily looks into my eyes.

''Shut up. You only live once, Eden, we all do. You either starve yourself to death, or you do something about it. For me, I do something about it because I'm god damn hungry! You can last longer than five days, but you'll be dead in another.''

Sae raises an eyebrow as I take her hands off my shirt collar.

" I steal everyday. Welcome to my life, asshole."

I growl, Sae, staring down at me with her lips sealed together.

''Doesn't look like it. You're scrawny enough. Don't say I didn't warn you.''

Sae takes a deep look into my eyes and opens up my fist with the four dollars curled inside.

''Find that money for a toy. You are one yourself.''

She then shoves pasts me and walks to the lunch line, me, twirling around and staring at her with a threat in my eyes.

I look at the lunch line full of kids.

But I don't see Sae.

But she just walked over there-
It's just your imagination, Eden.

So why does this feel like it isn't?