Chapter 13- My head

Today is Monday. 

That means I walk into public with my shaved head. 

Where everyone can see. 

Laugh. 

Whisper. 

Stare. 

It's already to much for me as I make my way onto the bus, sitting next to Sae softly as she seems to pat her hand down next to her on her seat, hesitating as I walk over and sit down next to her. 

I glance over at her with tears in my eyes as her eyes sparkle with hurt. 

''Your- your hair-'' 

She pulls out her limp hand as she touches my cheek softly. 

Her hands are cold and seem to be drained. 

''You didn't come over to my house yesterday. I waited for-'' 

''What happened on Saturday!? You were bleeding, Sae! Why!?'' 

Sae grabs onto my shoulders and gives me a quick shake. 

''I was running. I was at the park- with my father... I saw a girl literally disappear! So did everything else in that fucking place! I was running- and I cut my waist on something sharp! But there was nothing sharp near me...Nothing! I found you right on that street- This isn't a time to-'' 

Sae's face grows white until I see her bruises plastered all over her cheeks. 

She looks towards the front of the bus, I do as well. 

There is no bus driver. 

In fact, there is no one else but Sae and I on the bus. 

She quickly grabs onto my hand and runs with me off the bus. 

''What- where are we going!-'' 

We run past my house and past billions of others, until she stops us in our tracks in front of a small brick house. 

''My house. You are Korean, aren't you?'' 

She turns around to look at me and lets go of my hand. 

''Of course, I am- how could you not tell?'' 

''Whatever you do. I need you to just- follow my lead. Please.'' 

She then walks up to her front door and knocks on the door softly, until I see a pale woman, dressed in a craggy apron and soft shoes open the door and raise an eyebrow. 

''Sae? Yeogiseo mwohaseyo?'' (Sae? What are you doing here?) 

Asks who seems to be her mother, causing Sae to glance over at me. 

''Hakgyoga chwisodoepnida. Naneun nawa chingugaissda.'' (School is canceled. I have a friend with me.) 

Sae proceeds a fake smile as I wave at her mother awkwardly. 

''No ireumeun edenipnida.'' (My name is Eden.)  

I say, slightly smiling when Sae nudges my shoulder. 

Sae's mother then nods slightly and opens up her front door, letting Sae and I enter. 

It's, small. Just some photos of Sae and her family hung up on walls and shelves, some homey Japanese lights hanging above a large stove and refrigerator, and wait seems to be a small staircase leading upstairs.

''Mama, we will go upstairs.'' 

''Hm. Geurae, Nappeuji maseyo.'' (Hm. Okay, don't be bad.) 

Sae smiles and grabs onto my hand, rushing up the stairs and entering into a very small hallway, then making our way into a white room. 

It's small- only one bed is seen, looks like Sae's, a large bookcase with a lot of books, and a desk with a pile of clothes. 

Sae gently takes off her backpack and slams it on the floor. 

I gently take off my backpack and softly place it down near her desk. 

''Okay. Listen to me. I need to show you something- but you need to promise you won't show anyone.'' 

I nod. 

''I swear.''